• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#8 xtra mag for trap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
I picked up a bag of number eight shot for a pretty decent price at my LGC recently. I was just wondering if any of y'all have used #8 while shooting trap and what your experience has been. I'm hoping it will still break clay at 25yd. Otherwise imma have alot of extra lead lying around was shooting 25%-35% at 25-30 yards with 7.5s do you guys think it was wise moving to the smaller size?

Last edited:
In my modern O/U Winchester trap gun shooting clays I use #8's all the time at the 16-to-22-yard line after 22 yards I use 7-1/2's. I have no problems "smoking" every target I hit. I like the higher pellet count that the #8's give you.

I picked up a bag of number eight shot for a pretty decent price at my LGC recently. I was just wondering if any of y'all have used #8 while shooting trap and what your experience has been. I'm hoping it will still break clay at 25yd. Otherwise imma have alot of extra lead lying around was shooting 25%-35% at 25-30 yards with 7.5s do you guys think it was wise moving to the smaller size?
Full disclosure, this was a modern shotgun.

I always used 8s for trap, doves and grouse. Still for doves but switched to light loads of 6 for other small game to reduce the number of hits and shot in the meat.

8's will break birds just fine if you shoot fast enough. It's more about the size of your pattern than the difference between 7 1/2 and #8's. Good thing about shooting muzzle loading shotguns - it ain't hard to toss in some more shot if you feel the need. Have fun!

I use #8 in both of my Pedersoli SXS. Works well for me. Sheriff John is correct. You need to pattern your smoothy and work on a load that works for your firearm.

Was thinking

8 for woodcock. But using 6 also.

Anyone make a mix shot and tri it... my grandfather's reloads were a mix. He said enough number 6 for a Pheasant in there with the 8 was real good for woodcock. I guess 50 50 mix

Was thinking

8 for woodcock. But using 6 also.

Anyone make a mix shot and tri it... my grandfather's reloads were a mix. He said enough number 6 for a Pheasant in there with the 8 was real good for woodcock. I guess 50 50 mix
I've been doing a 7/8 mix

Right. It sounds good.

I wish I could still cut open some shells to post picture... like a horse hair cushion wad stuff and all. No shotcup

I was a kid... but that had to be blackpowder.. it was black..

Volume of hair. Was a good amount it took a while to pull all out...

Anything nitro or overshot yea punched.. something

I though it was junk like no good don't shoot throw away not safe maybe... old.

I was a kid... but that had to be blackpowder.. it was black..

Volume of hair. Was a good amount it took a while to pull all out...

Anything nitro or overshot yea punched.. something

I though it was junk like no good don't shoot throw away not safe maybe... old.
I just got done shooting a bunch of older ammo like that. It looked like I had confetti coming outta my gun. It was all unmentionable tho I don't think they were bp.

Back