• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.72 caliber conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wander back through the archives here at the site. Though my memory is leaky about the details, I recall that several years back a member (from South Africa, IIRC) spent a lot of effort and some $ pulling together a big conical for his 72 Ped double. Again, leaky memory, but I recall that he documented it well- all the way from design drawings for the pill to where he had the mold made and what it cost. There were shooting reports too, I think.

Anyone else remember that thread, and can perhaps give a steer? I think virtually every question that's come up here has already been covered, and covered well.

With the .72 Kodiak in production, I'm surprised someone does not offer one. Of course, I can't imagine too many takers, as that gun felt light when I had the chance to handle one. Could you shoot 12 guage lead slugs, paper patched, etc? (Paper patching has been used to size up bullets for obsolete ammo.)

Since when does one require a 'need' to shoot anything they want? :confused:

I have guns that shoot loads I have no need for at all. I just wanted them so I bought them, and I enjoy shooting the heck out of 'em. Ain't it great being an American? :hatsoff:

I have no need for one, but I'd love to have a rifle that shoots a big honkin' conical like that. That would be a hoot to shoot!

Jumpshot said:
I just want them, so I have them. I don't need a reason.

Heck, same reason I have some of them. Wanting them is a heck of a niche. How else do I explain multiples of 50, 54, 58 and 62 calibers? ;-)

With the .72 Kodiak in production, I'm surprised someone does not offer one.

With a 1:86 twist rate it probably wouldn't matter if conical mold was on the market.

With the work done by Forsyth, who had the option of either a conical or a patched round ball in very large calibers, he chose patched round ball, from 14 gauge on up through 4 bore.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
...a 1:86 twist rate....

It hasn't come up in this discussion yet, but the twist rate has always made me wonder about using double balls rather than a conical.

The topic was chewed over pretty thoroughly in a recent thread, but never veered into it's potential for larger calibers. Put a couple of .71+ balls airborne, and there would be a whole lot of whomping going on when they landed.

I gotta say that my shoulder and common sense have kept me from experimenting with the idea, however. :rotf:

What on gods green earth do you need to shoot with a .72 conical!?
Pretty sure a .710 PRB will kill most anything.
Most people think of "the zombie apocalypse" to describe when things hit the fan, but most of us have seen jurassic park 😉 Hey, you never know, and you can't be too safe 🤣

I made my own a few years ago, bored out a .58cal mold. I believe it’s about .715” diameter.
Had to go back and modify for a base plug - to reduce the weight. Now it weighs a comfortable 850gr.
I believe Tom at Accurate Molds can make you one - but he doesn’t do HP or cavity base plugs.
DD91167A-93A0-4D86-A4C8-DF5631B90B14.jpeg

050CFA1B-0B05-447B-BC81-6F3B62620BA8.jpeg

1E10DACC-C709-4559-A9D4-66A4C7897299.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow that’s surprised me.
I expected it would take a much bigger charge to shoot that well
When I saw the OP I was made to think of the African Hunter who said after shooting an elephant it was a race to see who got up first, him or the elephant
800 grains initially sounds like a big load, but I’ve shot two ounces out of my .62 on about 75 grains

tenngun, SciAggie
I really thought that I would knock a deer over with this bullet/load.
Shot 2 does broadside at 60/65yds and the bullet went completely thru - the exit hole being slightly larger than the entrance. One having, what looked like, a perfect 1” ball nose endmill cut across the top of the heart.

Latest posts

Back