• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

72 cal Pedersoli Double rifle - new purchase and testing - custom bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Projectile and powder charge both effect regulation. Have you experimented with heavier charges?

I am playing with a .54 cal double rifle right now and my right barrel is shooting way left. Been a bugger trying to figure it out. Different patches, balls, bullets, types of powder etc. I think I might be on the right track now.

Regarding both barrels going off: I had a SxS 10 ga shotgun. Took it to the trap range and had both hammers cocked and capped. Fired the first barrel at a clay bird and thought, WOW that was a lot of recoil. The recoil caused the second hammer to drop as well. Felt as one shot.

Had to rework the lock on left barrel after that.

Fleener

Yep, don't want malfunctioning locks on a double. Except for bird hunting, (or trap) and especially with a rifle, "probably" better to just cock one barrel at a time.

Hi Buckstix
Congratulations. That was a great find and deal. And with your bullet design double so !! All you need now is a leather sling with just a small amount of South African decoration stitched on. LOL Wonderful rifle.
Did I read somewhere on this Thread that you were considering removing the two rear sights and adding single three-leaf flip up sight ? I'm a bit of a novice with these double rifles. So I thought the reason for the individual rear sights was that the barrels are not necessarily regulated (fully). Is that correct ? A single leaf would look better, but may not work well ?
Another question: It appears these double rifles are available in .50, .54, .58, and .72. Is the rifling in all calibers designed for round ball use ?
I've considered getting one of these for a long time. But just didn't care for the "looks" of the two rear sights. But they may be necessary. Thanks for any help.

Rick

Projectile and powder charge both effect regulation. Have you experimented with heavier charges?
I've tried as light as 80grs. 2f and as heavy as 100 grs. with the same .715" projectile. No real conclusive results other than burning through my .015" patches with heavier charges. Looking for smaller than .715" ball so I can use thicker patches.

I've never designed a bullet, probably never will, but that one looks short in length and light-weight compared to mine ball and conicals I cast in a 58 caliber. The .715 RB for my friends 12 bore weighs 545grs, the 58 cal 575213 old style is a 460gr, and the 575213 improved weighs 500gr. That being said, its hard to argue with the accuracy in the last target!

Howie, what kind of accuracy do you get from your 1000gr slugs?

NECG has folding leaf rear sights for express rifles.
actually decent enough to hunt with, now my situation is a little different as I mainly hunt hogs at night from about 15 yards. however I sighted them 1 inch high at 25 yards. At that distance the holes were touching. I went to 50 yards the group opened to about 3 inches they were stringing horizontally. with that being said I went back to patched roundball I used a wonderwad over powder and beneath the patch and roundball. I sighted in with 80 grains of pyro p ive upped the charge but this rifle likes pyro. ive got more olde eyenesford 3F and 2 F in and will be shooting for a little accuracy. I don't think this slow twist stabilized the 1,000 grain bullet if it was shorter possibly. I will say the patched roundballs I can ring the gongs at 100 yards nearly every time, recoil with the 1000 is a tad stiff but manageable the roundballs barely kick due to the weight of the 12 lb rifle

I've tried as light as 80grs. 2f and as heavy as 100 grs. with the same .715" projectile. No real conclusive results other than burning through my .015" patches with heavier charges. Looking for smaller than .715" ball so I can use thicker patches.
I was having the same problem, I put a oxyoke wonder wad under my patched roundball problem solved

Hi Buckstix
Congratulations. That was a great find and deal. And with your bullet design double so !! All you need now is a leather sling with just a small amount of South African decoration stitched on. LOL Wonderful rifle.
Did I read somewhere on this Thread that you were considering removing the two rear sights and adding single three-leaf flip up sight ? I'm a bit of a novice with these double rifles. So I thought the reason for the individual rear sights was that the barrels are not necessarily regulated (fully). Is that correct ? A single leaf would look better, but may not work well ?
Another question: It appears these double rifles are available in .50, .54, .58, and .72. Is the rifling in all calibers designed for round ball use ?
I've considered getting one of these for a long time. But just didn't care for the "looks" of the two rear sights. But they may be necessary. Thanks for any help.

Rick
with the other calibers I believe the 50 is a faster twist I know for a fact the 58 is 1-48 because I about bought it over the 72 ill go look and report back

Yes, slightly heavier patch, wads over powder. My Jeager likes two patches under the ball to keep the patch in perfect shape. Hope to try a wax-biscuit soon, probably try one biscuit, one wonder wad. 100 grains of powder in a .72" is not a heavy charge.

Hi Buckstix

Rick
Barrels on a double "should" be regulated at a specific range, usually 100 yards, but sometimes 50. Then it is normal to get some horizontal spread short of or beyond the regulated range. However, powder charge and projectile effect that. I for one would not want to flip one sight down, and one up, or visa-versa, when firing the second shot. Single leaf, with flip-ups for longer range is the way to go...and looks better! If your barrels are regulated at 100 (which may take some experimenting with loads and projectiles) you will be able to hit a big game animal in the vital zone at any reasonable range...certainly out to 150 or closer than 100. Regulated at 50, you are certainly good to 100, which for most of us, generally speaking, is as far as we want to shoot at an animal with open sights, and rifles with a lot of trajectory, compared to modern guns.

I suppose it is possible to get a Pedersoli that is not regulated well at any range. ?? The old English doubles were regulated at the factory, and meant to be used with a specific load. (or cartridge) Pretty sure Pedersoli cannot afford to do that, or that many could afford the rifle if they did.

NEI used to make a .72 cal projectile called a paradox. It was just barely longer than it was in diameter so it was close to a roundball sectional density. I've been looking for a copy of it in the old paper catalogs that they used to send out with their orders before the father died and left the business to the kids. They still have a website up but it is dedicated to selling dogs now????? If I could find the original drawings I would have Tom at Accurate make one for me to have one of my friends try since I can't handle the recoil anymore but had read quite a few years ago that guys were having very good luck with them. If I remember they were about 750 grains as cast with a flat base but could be modified for a hollow base too.

Howie and Rat: Thanks so much for the information. With that bullet now available, and the availability of a standard type rear express sight, it makes me start to really want one of these guns.

Rick

Hi Buckstix

Rick
Hello rickystl,
Thanks for the reply,

I started playing with these Pedersoli black powder double rifles about 30 years ago when they were first introduced. In most cases, the slow twist rate of these barrels are designed for patched round ball. Since projectiles are stabilized by "length" not weight, any custom conical bullet must not be too long, or else it won't stabilize and shoot accurately.
As to the sights, many people believe the dual rear sights are; one for right barrel, and one for left barrel. I don't believe this is the case. Its not practical to try to flip one down, and the other one up, during a hunting situation. With state-of-the-art modern precision machining, and sophisticated laser sighting techniques, these guns are regulated during production without the need for actual shooting. The dual rear sights are actually designed to be used like a standard "multi-leaf" rear sight, for 2 different ranges, with the added ability to be adjustable for both elevation and windage. That way the shooter can decide for himself what ranges he would like to use, based on his hunting condition, i.e; 50yds and 75yds, or ... 50yds and 100yds, or ... 75yds and 125yds, etc. In my case, as I've shown on the target with the trajectory, I've sighted the rifle to be zero at 130 yards. That gives 4-3/8" high at 50yds, 4-1/8" high at 100yds, and 4-3/4" low at 150yds. So If I'm aiming direct at the heart from zero to 150yds, the bullet will either hit the heart, or impact a couple inches above, or a couple inches below the heart. .... All will be kill shots. Besides, with my old eyes, I can't shoot iron sights any farther than 150yds anyway.

I have replaced the dual rear sight with a Winchester buckhorn sight. We'll see how this works on the next outing.

72site.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed, if you can maintain a point blank range, out to the furthest range you will shoot, that is a good thing.

Buckstix:

Thank you VERY MUCH for your comprehensive reply. No I have a better understanding, especially with the two rear sight arrangement. I was one of those that thought the rear sights was one for each barrel. So, there is a practical reason for the twin flip-up sights. And it makes sense.
I guess what it comes down to is that I just don't like the looks of the two rear sights. LOL

That will be interesting to see what kind of results you get with that single buck horn rear sight. Please do let us know. This has been truly an interesting thread. Thanks again.

By the way, are the two rear sights mounted on the barrels with screws ? On the rib ?

Rick

I just picked up a Pedersoli 54 double rifle AND a Pedersoli 72 rifle. I put in low bids online and was very surprised when I was told that I'd won both. They both are in very good condition, but I haven't shot either yet. I have plenty of 54 supplies, but none for 72, so I've been searching for them unsuccessfully so far. Not sure my shoulder will tolerate the 72, so it may be going up for sale on here in the future.

I just picked up a Pedersoli 54 double rifle AND a Pedersoli 72 rifle. I put in low bids online and was very surprised when I was told that I'd won both. They both are in very good condition, but I haven't shot either yet. I have plenty of 54 supplies, but none for 72, so I've been searching for them unsuccessfully so far. Not sure my shoulder will tolerate the 72, so it may be going up for sale on here in the future.
I recently had a Pedersoli double .72. It is without a doubt one of the finest production rifles I have ever owned.
It certainly rivals the finer British double guns of yesteryear.
Sadly my only complaint was it's weight. I am coming close to seventy-six years old and h ave a hard time with heavy guns.
But who would want a six pound double .72 rifle, it would be impossible to shoot.
Now, as to loads for your .72 cal. rifle, it is not a two hundred yard gun. It will never shoot flat.
A ball travelling at one thousand feet per second will flatten any creature.

Latest posts

Back