• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.715 Round Balls Work Great in My 10 Ga. SxS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
After shooting some clay birds this morning with the Shotgun League at my local club, I figured that since the gun was already dirty I'd try to shoot round balls out of the Pedersoli 10 ga. Man was that FUN! First time that I ever tried to do this, and really glad that I did!

Used 80 grains of 3Fg Goex (only powder that I have), a .125 over-powder wad, (2) 10 ga. pre-lubed wonder-wads, the .715 lead ball surrounded by a 2.5" standard BP cleaning patch wet with spit, then (2) over-shot cards to hold it all together.

At 50 yards, my first shot hit the cardboard backer to the left of the paper target. Moved in to 25 yards while the pistol match was going-on and sent another huge round ball just into the black of the bulls-eye. So for the third shot I aimed about 2:00 just into the white of the paper and punched-out the 10_Ring! I'm really pleasantly surprised, and had lots of FUN! I didn't get to try the left barrel which is slightly choked. I stayed with the right side. The spit patch cleaned the shotgun every time I reloaded it :wink: so clean-up was a snap!

Dave

Shoot a deer with it this next hunting season an you will be even more amazed. After all your nearly shootin bowling balls out of it. It will get er done :thumbsup:

That's great news...one of the real benefits of a double...shot in one barrel, ball in the other...sit for squirrels and if a deer happens to wander through as they sometimes do, you'll be all set
:thumbsup:

Dave,

I had a Pedersoli double 10 with cylinder barrels whiched I miked at .766 iirc. I shot .750 balls with a .10 patch and it was wonderfully accurate. Also easy to load if I swabbed about every 5th shot. Not an issue since 10 of those made for a full day!

Anyway, I've got 3 bags (75 balls) left and nothing to do with them. Check your bore and if you can use them they're yours for $5 flat rate postage.

-Weston

Thanks, I'll get a hold of a friend that has a mike and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

They may wind-up working since I don't need to short-start the .715's I'm using now with a 2.5" cleaning patch lubed with spit. AFTER the gun was fouled at the clay bird range, I took it over to the rifle range and tried the balls. Tha wet cleaning patch got "caught" on the 10 ga. jag, so I had to use my rifle jag to push the balls down, but they went down rather easily, so I used a couple felt wads over the top of the balls to hold it all together. Only used the right side of the double as the left is slightly choked.

Thanks again!

Dave

Dave, if you can use them that's great. Email me at "[email protected]" so I don't miss it.

I used those wonderful smelling pre-lube patches from TOTW, Wonderlube I think, and 90gr of 2f. Nothing else, just ball and patch over powder. I did use a short starter but it wasn't critical. I confess I also laced on a Cabelas recoil pad which made the world much better.

Weston,

O-K, will do and thanks! :thumbsup: .

I may get the tubes miked tomorrow! Don't know for sure yet :idunno: . I'll be sure to let you know!

Dave

UPDATE.....UPDATE.......UPDATE

Yesterday just for the heck of it I shot a competition with the 10 ga. involving 25 shots on paper targets from both 25 & 50 yards. Ended up winning the division (Smoothie) and drawing some interesting "LOOKS" doing it :haha: .

We used the formula as described earlier to great effect. My fliers at 50 yards still wound up in the scoring rings, so I lucked-out some too.

Never fired soooooo many round balls out of my shotgun before, so now I have to find a source for more balls........and Weston I'll be sending you a PT today!

Take care everyone and have a great week!

Dave

Back