• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 Green Mountain Barrel Owners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to the range today with .600 balls and .010 and .015 patches. Could not get the ball started with either. The ball would drop down the barrel by itself but there was no play side to side. What size ball are you guys using? .595? Does a .590 exist?

BTW...This is the first time out with this barrel, it's a drop-in for a T/C Hawken Stock.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a 600 dai ball and .010 patches prelubed and they need a good rap on the top of the ball starter to get them to load.

I do not think I ever tried to load one with my thumb or the ramrod so if that is what you are doing that might be it.

I tried .600" and .015" patches in my GM .62cal drop-in smooth barrel but my first batch of .600" balls were Warren brand and I couldn't start them without a piece of 2" x 4". Got home and checked their size with dial calipers, found that they varied all over the place a few thousands too large...and with a smoothbore there is not much leeway as there's no grooves for excess material to go into.

Needed another brand of .600s but was so short on time til deer season if I got another bad batch of .600's I wouldn't be ready in time so I went a littler smaller and got a pack of .595's from TOW just so I could sight in and deer hunt.

They did pretty good with .018" pillow ticking but were only slightly larger/heavier than the balls in my .58cal so after the season I got some .600's from Eddie May in Georgia and they worked perfectly with .015" patches.

Try some .575 rd balls in it. I had good luck with them in my .62 with a thicker patch. Use an overpowder wad and a half a lubed fiber cushion wad under it and you can shoot all day with no bore wiping.

I think I'll order some .595 balls from TOTW before I try smaller balls as Rebel suggested.

How do I get in touch with Eddie May?

The balls I have are from Rush Creek which I originally purchased from TOTW.

I tried a short starter but I would have needed a mallet to rap on it just to get the ball in to the muzzle.

MikeC said:
How do I get in touch with Eddie May?
Here you go...

Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225
Please Call or Write to place Order

(he doesn't have a web site)

I use a .600 ball from a jeff tanner mould and a .010 patch with moose snot, loads easy and is accurate.

TTC

OK...Measured the bore today and it measured (.610).

Didn't call Eddie yet as I wanted to measure the bore and get some input from you guys given the dimension.

So...should I get the .600 from Eddie or .595 balls?

Thanks,

Mike

Go with the .595's. The .600's are going to be a real tight fit in that bore with even a thin patch.
Or listen to what Roundball says since he has some of them GM barrels. :grin:

MikeC said:
OK...Measured the bore today and it measured (.610).
Didn't call Eddie yet as I wanted to measure the bore and get some input from you guys given the dimension.
So...should I get the .600 from Eddie or .595 balls?
Thanks,Mike
Get the .600s...GM barrels are .610 and mine have been very accurate with Eddie May .600s & .015" lubed patches
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to order both sizes, hey it's only money and I'm having fun trying to figure this out. :grin:

MikeC said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to order both sizes, hey it's only money and I'm having fun trying to figure this out. :grin:
FYI...Eddie doesn't make .595s

Thanks Roundball. I'll get the .600 from Eddie and some .595 from TOTW. I need some other stuff from them anyway.

Mike

I am going to shoot mine tomorrow the first time as I have muzzleloading season in a month. In Illinois we are a bit behind the times. I am sure glad that my friend screwed up and bought .010 oxyoke patches. I bought some pillow ticking and cut about 50 patches for the gun and oops they aint going to fit cant get them to go w/o like ya said a 2X4. I will let ya know how it goes. Got 200 balls from a caster From Missouri calle "Big Muddy" trading post. so I am set for a while. I am going to try .015 patches as well, Will report on my shooting.

You should try it with just wads and no patch too. Sometimes they will shoot as well or nearly as well without the patch. Try either a thick overpowder wad or 4 thin overshot wads, then a half a lubed fiber cushion wad started just below the muzzle, then set the rd ball on it with the sprue up put another overshot card on top, and ram the cushion wad ball and overshot card down on top of the overpowder wad(wads).

BillinOregon said:
Wish GM had not discontinued this barrel.

They are excellent...I eventually accumulated 3 of their 1" x 33" .62cal Flint smoothbore barrels:

Had one jug choked 'Full', another jug choked Imp. Cyl.+, and another made into a round ball barrel by having Ed Rayl adding 1:72" rifling.

SUGGESTIONS.........

FIRST
Check with Ed or Scott Cain at Cains Outdoors in West VA...they may still have one left in stock.

SECOND
You should send GM an Email to tell them you want one.

The reason is that certain barrels, based upon their relative sales popularity, are not a normal production item...instead GM periodically makes a batch of them when they've started to receive enough requests from potential customers.

And, ANYBODY who might want one should send them an Email too.

Back