• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 caliber wallop!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCarp

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up my new piece today! Mid-18th C. "English Sporting Rifle"; 31" Rice barrel: .62 caliber, tapered and flared, with round bottom rifling; Jim Chambers round-faced English lock; English walnut stock. Built by my good friend - and skilled gunsmith! - W Kevin Dougherty, of Brackney, PA.

flinter36 said:
VERY nice is the thumb rest is ivory?how does it shoots?

The thumb piece is bone, all manner of ivory now being illegal. Will probably scrimshaw an Old English initial there.
Shoots great! Recoil is alot more comfortable than I expected with that big .62 cal. hole (the barrel is quite light). Have to fine tune my load, but will be in the neighborhood of 80 grains 3F....

Carp said:
...Recoil is alot more comfortable than I expected with that big .62 cal. hole (the barrel is quite light). Have to fine tune my load, but will be in the neighborhood of 80 grains 3F....

Well done. My slow-twist 62 doesn't want to shoot well til I gets up to 120 grains of 2f and 140 grains is even better. Recoil is decidedly NOT comfortable! :rotf:

On top of that, yours is the purtiest gal at the dance. Hat's off to your bud the builder. :hatsoff:

Very nice, this is the same gun I have in 58 caliber. I love the grace and feel of the gun. Glad to hear your's shoots well.

BrownBear said:
Carp said:
...Recoil is alot more comfortable than I expected with that big .62 cal. hole (the barrel is quite light). Have to fine tune my load, but will be in the neighborhood of 80 grains 3F....

Well done. My slow-twist 62 doesn't want to shoot well til I gets up to 120 grains of 2f and 140 grains is even better. Recoil is decidedly NOT comfortable! :

On top of that, yours is the purtiest gal at the dance. Hat's off to your bud the builder. :hatsoff:

My .69 cal has a very slow twist. At 50 yards with 120 gr of 2f it grouped all shots touching. At 100 yards it was all over the paper. Eventually worked up to 150 gr and the problem was solved. The rifle weighs around 13 lbs so the recoil is tolerable.

Lordy mercy! That is a beautiful rifle.....almost too beautiful to shoot. But, I'll bet it does get shot. Unless I miss my guess, I'll just bet it gets to see a good bit of woods time. Enjoy your rifle, it is beautiful. :thumbsup:

Very beautiful rifle. Not making that compliment lightly. It is special. :bow: I'm sure you will enjoy. Congrats. And, keep that builder chained to the foot of yer bed. Ain't many around with that kind of talent.

Agree with everyone....well done gun which is also a very good shooter. Total envy!

Hi,
That should be a fine hunting gun. I love 62 cal and 18th century English flintlock fowlers and rifles. They are not easy builds.

dave

Your friend did a fine job on it. I have a .62 rifle an it shoots very well with 80 FFg an a .600 self cast ball. Hits hard an puts a big blood losing hole in bama whitetails. I have yet to recover a ball from one

the slower the twist, the more powder is needed to shoot accurately. this was proven with a zepher 62 with a 1 in 144 twist. took 110 and griains 2f to close a group. upped it to 140 and dead center.

Look closely at the last pic, and you'll see that it has a peep sight! That'll disqualify from matches, but great for hunting with these "old man eyes"....

rj morrison said:
the slower the twist, the more powder is needed to shoot accurately. this was proven with a zepher 62 with a 1 in 144 twist. took 110 and griains 2f to close a group. upped it to 140 and dead center.

The twist rate on this Rice bbl is 1 in 72, according to their website....

Back