• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

62 cal loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently got a 62 calibur Jaeger rifle it has a 37 inch Geitz barrel. I have two 20 ga. smooth bores but have no idea what to tell him about loads for his rifle . Any help would surely help. thanks Joe

My 62 flinter likes 160 gr FFg for the big load(1650fps) and I like 80 gr for 25 and 50 yd shooting. Somewhere inbetween should be a sweet spot for the rifle.

One of mine (42" barrel) really likes 110 grains of 2f, so that's what I use for deer. I've gone as high as 140, and it neither helped nor hurt accuracy. That's what I'd use for moose, but don't see the need for deer.

My other 62 has a 32" barrel and seems to be more fond of 3f powder. I need to shoot it more, but so far 90 grains seems ideal.

MO. Joe said:
Any help would surely help.

For my deer hunting in woods where the average shot is only 25-50 yards I went with a mid-range load in two different Flintlocks.

32" GM smoothbore barrel I had rifled by Ed Rayl:
100grns Goex 2F
Oxyoke wool wad
.018" patch
.600" cast ball

38" Rice smoothbore barrel
110grns Goex 2F
Oxyoke wool wad
.022" patch
.600" cast ball

For my 20ga/.62cal smoothbore I use 80gr 2F and a .010 lubed patch w/ a .600 RB for deer.

I use 80gr. 2F and 100gr.#6 shot for turkey.

I suggest start on the lower end say 60-70 gr. of powder and slowly work your way up to see what the gun likes. Also try different powders 2F and 3F and see what works best for the gun. Experiment a bit and have fun w/ it, but be safe.

OTHERN said:
My 62 flinter likes 160 gr FFg for the big load(1650fps) and I like 80 gr for 25 and 50 yd shooting. Somewhere inbetween should be a sweet spot for the rifle.

Does that load generate alot of recoil? :hmm:

I've got a Getz 42" barrel on a Beck style gun.

100 grains 2f for plinking.

120 for hunting.

Works well.

I'm thinkin' 160 grains would rock ya pretty good!

Greg

I have a 62 lehman flinter, 80 grains 2f and a 340 grain ball blows through deer. Most of my hunting is under 75 yds.

OTHERN Said:My 62 flinter likes 160 gr FFg for the big load(1650fps) and I like 80 gr for 25 and 50 yd shooting. Somewhere inbetween should be a sweet spot for the rifle.

Does that load generate alot of recoil?

I was wonderin the same thing as this is twice the powder I use. :idunno: As long as it is safe in the gun and it works,..great. Iowa deer don't need that much killin. :v

The real problem with load data is that its all related to the gun in question. Pick a powder charge,ball size and patch thickness. Then change each one say patch thickness first and see if you get better results. its a real bear toget it all figured out so take a friend to improve the fun factor. I have a 48inch .62 barrel thats octigone to round with a flared muzzle I will one day have stocked then I will have to go though what your friend will. Tell him good luck and burn lots of powder.

Thanks alot for all the replys. My friend will have to figure what his smallest starting load is and work up from there to find what gun reallly likes ,also what patch, also what kind of powder 2f or 3f . The same thing we all do that is what makes this so much damn fun.Also what kind of flints lock likes. Thank you all for your help. Joe

Back