• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.610 chewed balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJP

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my new 20ga English Fowler to the range this afternoon. It was windy and raining, but I wanted to try some .610 "chewed" round balls at 25yds. I read about them in Muzzleloader magazine. The load was 90gr FF over powder card, .610 chewed ball and another card over the ball. I think they shot pretty well. I had one shot go way low. It was a "slow ignition". Let me know what you're thinking. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I put them between two farriers rasps and rolled them back and forth. I want to try them without chewing them and see what happens.

That's looks pretty good to me Jerry. Have you tried tweaking the amount of powder by 5 or 10 up or down to see if it makes a difference. I use a patched ball myself never liked the bother of cards. I guess I am a little lazy about things like that but my ole smoothy has put some meat in the freezer and that is proof enough for me.
Ron

I would say that is very good. Do you have a rear sight?
And, I'll suggest 90 grains is a bit more than needed for punching paper. Mebbe good for buff but a stiff charge for most things.

Thanks guys, I'll try to answer all of your questions. I have shot patched round balls with 70gr FF, but I haven't really done a lot of experimenting yet. I had it made by Paul Allison, here in Lancaster Co., PA. It does have a rear sight. I bumped the load to 90gr, thinking that with the ball not being patched, the added powder might help with velocity. The stock is a piece on English walnut I cut several years ago. The barrel is a Colerain octagon to round, 38" 20ga and has a Jim Chambers English lock.

I am using 90 grains FFG in my 20 guage with a PRB and am getting very tight groups out to 40 yards. I have tried lighter loads and the groups open up considerably. So for my gun 90 grain load for PRB is the right one, in this case less powder is less accuracy.

Steve

This gun is number 286 for Paul Allison so he has a little experience building them. Living in Lancaster helps because there are a lot of originals to look at.

Very good info. :thumbsup:

I have been procrastinating about doing the same thing. I made the balls but have not shot them yet.

I believe the some people have also used them directly on the powder.

I would be interested in seeing how your same load shoots with the same balls but not “chewed”.

I plan on trying (unchewed) balls soon. I just have to get some time to get to the range. I will let you know how they shoot.

In honor to this thread I thought this quote from Adair's History of the American Indians was in order!
"The leader, on each side, immediately blows the small whistle he carries for the occasion, in imitation of the ancient trumpet, as the last signal of engagement. Now hot work begins -- The guns are firing; the chewed bullets flying; the strong hiccory bows a twanging; the dangerous barbed arrows whizzing as they fly" James Adair

Good luck with your shooting.....
David

When I was shooting my .54 Sharon barrel, I wanted to see of .535 RB's would shoot better than .530 RB's. So, I rasped a pile and tried them. They closed up the groups quite a bit which let me know I could use the .535 RB's and quit buying the .530's. I have since tried this with most of the other rifles & pistols and it helps.

BartSr

Back