• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 Remmington smoothbore project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kill them in my yard because I don't want to lose parts of two toes like cousin Ricky Don. Yah, I know that someone built a house in snake heaven but I insist upon the safety of my family, pets included. Briggs & Stratton rule!

By the way the prettiest ones I've seen so far are a mating pair of green vine snakes about fourteen inches long that were in the limbs on the backside of the big oak.

8-15-056_zps5ef61cc7.jpg

Old Ford said:
Thank you all for the information.
I've seen copper heads, rattlers, and coral snakes here in North America.
But have never had to live with them.
Fred

Come on down to Texas for a visit, we got lots!!!

Well all these deep feelings for snakes is great but the fact of the matter is they will bite you and venomous snakes can kill you. I live and work in the woods and there is always the possibility of being bitten without seeing them, this is why I carry a firearm and why we put this together soooo this is about converting a rifled barreled revolver to smoothbore and firing shot from it, not whether we should or shouldnt kill snakes.

I'm interested in your project for both reasons. Up until mother had a heat stroke that left her with dementia I didn't kill snakes. She is deathly afraid of them now and that means they all die. She means more to me than they do. Back to the project, do you think any of the big bore 44/45 caliber revolvers could be converted?

I have one of the small 410 shotguns but a revolver would be easier to carry. A used one with a rusty barrel could be reamed out and would not fall under the same laws a regular handgun falls under requiring a rifled barrel. Bored and reamed right they should have a good pattern.

Having a .44 Colt's barrel reamed sounds like a nice scattergun idea. Since the barrel can be easily removed maybe a small "choke" can be left for close range small game too. A barrel swap and RB's once again.

I'm kinda curious how much larger shot can be set on a 20-25 grn powder charge.

That brings up two questions, first what would be a low end powder charge for a 44 cylinder? Can a over powder card be used over both powder and shot? Or a gascheck? Thanks, I am ignorant about cap and ball guns.

We had planned to take off the barrel and bore it from the inside out and leave a bit at the muzzle for a makeshift choke but it didnt work out that way.I would think anything would work, a Colt would be that much easier seems to me like. I used this one cause someone had reamed the cylinders to where .380s were just falling out of it. I planned to try the juice boxes for over powder and shot cards but Ive yet to come up with a punch set, the wads Ive been using work but having wax over them works better. I have shot from 10 grains up to 20 grains and the higher the charge the more scatter you get, I would try to keep the charge as low as possible, Im using about 10 grains of my powder but its hotter than commercial.

Thanks, what size/ diameter punch do you need? May be able to help with that if you are punching cardboard or something that is not metal. I was looking at a brass frame colt repo gun in 44. Wouldn't cost much so would not feel bad about modifying it.

Im thinking 3/8", I really need to just need to order a cheapo set from harbor freight....one thing at a time! Yea a cheapo brasser is way easier to go modifying than pretty much everything else!

Brushhippie said:
We had planned to take off the barrel and bore it from the inside out and leave a bit at the muzzle for a makeshift choke but it didnt work out that way.I would think anything would work, a Colt would be that much easier seems to me like. I used this one cause someone had reamed the cylinders to where .380s were just falling out of it. I planned to try the juice boxes for over powder and shot cards but Ive yet to come up with a punch set, the wads Ive been using work but having wax over them works better. I have shot from 10 grains up to 20 grains and the higher the charge the more scatter you get, I would try to keep the charge as low as possible, Im using about 10 grains of my powder but its hotter than commercial.

Oh my. Wonder if they tried to make it a companion piece to a .40 rifle.

I will look through some old punches and see what I have. May take a day or two, in the process of moving stuff from one small building to another. You can have it if I find them.

Not sure what they had in mind, most of the Euroarms come with the cylinders chamfered a bit where they dont shave a ring... perhaps trying to remedy that?

I've been giving that some thought as I don't care for the shaving of balls when loading. I suspect this has a lot more to do with un-evening the ball weights than would using a chamfered chamber mouth and swaging the whole ball into each chamber without cutting any away.
As long as the ball is of groove diameter and will stay put under recoil I see no need to shave lead to accomplish this just because it has always been done that way, especially after going to the trouble of weighing your balls for a match. MD

Back