• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 Remmington smoothbore project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Cummins

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I started messing with this idea, using a BP handgun for snakes last year. We did a couple of vids with rather poor results as far as patterning....so we decided to take a 58 Navy I had and made a smoothbore out of it and ran the tests again. Believe it or not it patterns realy good at about ten feet, perfect for taming ol Jake, check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcAXyWLVHSk&feature=share&list=UU4keAx4qZJL907szrouTFfA

Last edited by a moderator:
I had not considered that, not sure what size the insert is Id have to mic it.....interesting idea though!

Love your videos! keep them coming. I really like your "new rig" idea as I like to make my own holsters. :thumbsup:

HH 60

that is cool! quick question though, was it necessary to install a liner? Why couldn't you just ream it out smooth an shoot it that way???

Yea that was the plan but Kev made a little boo boo boring it and it turned out to be way big so he just sleeved it. We had originally planned to remove the barrel and bore it from the forcing cone end opening it up (to around .44)so we could kinda feather the bore at the end.... it would be like a choke, but he couldnt get it apart without damaging it so...

Did I misunderstand? The barrel would not come off the frame without incurring some damage?
Got me wondering 'cuz I've been threatening to alter a .36 into a .41 to use all the available molds.

Thanks for the info. Re-rifling the .36 barrel to .41 is part of what I'd need. Hmmm, how to accomplish THAT will be something I'll look into.

Very interesting idea, and quite a success! I can see why you're happy with it.

I'll give a second to the member who said he liked all your videos. I'm a longtime blackpowder shooter but brand spanking new to cap 'n ball. I enjoy watching your stuff immensely.

Keep up the good work!

I wonder why modern handguns with shot loads do quite well with shotloads. I like my colt's better but I wouldn't do this to my 58! It lookede like you were useing pretty large shot. Factory loads today use small shot like #9 and it does a great job. I use them for their intended purpose several times a year! Geo. T.

It's pretty close range proposition when I pop one. Most though are taken with my trusty Briggs & Stratton!
:haha:

Shot capsules are often used in modern guns. These work much like a shot cup and keep the lead off the bore and rifling which deforms shot and makes the patter spread, along with the twist. I have found my 4 inch 629 shoots better patterns than my 7.5 inch Ruger.
I'm not sure shot capsules would fit into a 44 cap-n-ball cylinder and would probably use up to much space and not allow enough BP.
This might be a good application for a paper cartridge/shot cup, to keep the shot off the bore wall and from deforming. MD

They make the cups in .44 but not .36 unfortunately I have thoughts about using juice box materials to make some.

Probably a silly question.
Are snakes in your area that much of a problem??
Here at home (Eastern Ontario) even seeing a common garter snake ( I live in the country ) is relatively rare.
I'm sure poisionous snakes are a concern to children & pets, but do they really encroach on personal residences?
Here at home the worst concerns for venom are honey bees, bumble bees.
And the old lady, when she thinks I screwed up.
Fred

Kill poisonous snakes in the yard every year where I live. Copper heads mostly. Sometimes cottonmouth moccasins. Only seen one ground rattler and one coral.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/kids/wild_things/wildlife/snakes.phtml
Lots of other snakes that are harmless and welcome.
One time the dog barked up a solid black foot and a half long salamander in the pasture. Scared me to death thinking the chuckle head was fixing to tangle with a cottonmouth.

I troop through thick brush alot working here on the place and as hilly as it is (and rocky)you can be going up a hill and have one right in your face, no I dont see alot of em..... in close quarters I like to be ready. But no I dont kill anything unless I have to. I have had copperheads come onto the porch before, enough to get your heart rate up I assure ya!

I see snakes here in NC all the time, including copperheads, but as a person who likes snakes and has been catching and releasing snakes (including venomous snakes) for more than 40 years I often wonder why people seem so intent on killing them.
:idunno:

I mean, finding a copperhead in your house or garage and killing it, I get that, although I'd relocate it myself, I do understand killing it in that situation. But outside just 'cause its there? Or non-venomous snakes? I don't get it.

And yes, I've seen copperheads in my yard and not killed them, even when my kids were little and played in the back yard.

I didn't even kill the rattlesnake that bit me when I stepped on him years ago. Since I stepped on him, I figured he had the right to bite me. :grin:

I've captured hundreds of snakes over the years, and I've been bitten a good deal, but that ONE time when I stepped on the snake accidently was the ONLY time I've been bitten by a snake when I wasn't handling it or trying to catch it. Most people who get bitten by snakes in the US are trying to catch or kill the snake that bites them. Leave them alone, and they would really rather leave you alone, they're not dragons trying to eat your young. :wink:

I eat the rattlesnakes I come across. I make BBQ tacos out of them.

I tried to get 2 cottonmouths, but it was just too aggressive, and I wasn't properly armed at the time.

I don't kill them because I fear them, but because they taste good.

Back