• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I spent this morning with my father at one of Indiana's DNR public range for some shooting to get ready for a November deer hunt.

The rifle is a TVM Virginia with a Green Mountain barrel. This is my second time using Track's Mink Oil as a patch lube. The first time out with the mink oil was a disaster due to my poor application to the patches. This time I melted some of the oil down and saturated the patches.

This was my first time time out with .020 thick patches and I was surprised how easy it was to load them. Overall, I was happy with the results. I only took a three shot group on the 50yd range, was satisfied, and then was off to the 100yd range for some fun.

DSCN6482.jpg

Trench said:
I spent this morning with my father at one of Indiana's DNR public range for some shooting to get ready for a November deer hunt.

The rifle is a TVM Virginia with a Green Mountain barrel. This is my second time using Track's Mink Oil as a patch lube. The first time out with the mink oil was a disaster due to my poor application to the patches. This time I melted some of the oil down and saturated the patches.

This was my first time time out with .020 thick patches and I was surprised how easy it was to load them. Overall, I was happy with the results. I only took a three shot group on the 50yd range, was satisfied, and then was off to the 100yd range for some fun.

DSCN6482.jpg

Looks good, I'm sure your barrel is longer than mine but If you can, See what 3F does for groups.

How'd you do at 100, damn I can't even see that far.

Swampy said..
Looks good, I'm sure your barrel is longer than mine but If you can, See what 3F does for groups.

How'd you do at 100, damn I can't even see that far.

I use 70 gr. 3f in my 58 that has a 41" barrel group is awesome @ 50 (.020 spit patch .570 ball)
as fer 100... :hmm: ditto Swampy! :redface: :haha:

Hmmm. I see a trend developing here. All my 58's (three of them) and my hunting pard's 58's (two of them), and a new hunting pard's 58 (only one, but he's just starting) seem to shoot most accurately with 3f, whether it's Goex (me) or 777 (my pard) or Pyrodex (the newbie). Go figger.

Good shooting Trench, and glad you worked it out!

100 yds was fine considering the wind was getting gusty. My shots were all around the outside edges of the triangle.

I haven't tried 3F in the .58 yet. At some point I probably will, but I'm a self admitted recoil wimp and the snappier recoil of 3F tends to make me flinch. :surrender:

Trench said:
100 yds was fine considering the wind was getting gusty. My shots were all around the outside edges of the triangle.

I haven't tried 3F in the .58 yet. At some point I probably will, but I'm a self admitted recoil wimp and the snappier recoil of 3F tends to make me flinch. :surrender:

Well I'm glad somebody can see that far!

Oh hell my gun weighs 7lb 4 oz and to me is nothing with 90gr 3F. To me anyways. :wink:

Swampy said:
Trench said:

Oh hell my gun weighs 7lb 4 oz and to me is nothing with 90gr 3F. To me anyways. :wink:

Ha! Well, my rifle is just shy of 9 lbs with a a 2.25 inch butt. It handles recoil well...but the shooter behind it doesn't. :rotf: I just know myself, and I know I'll be flinching till kingdom come with 90gr of 3F. :grin:

Trench said:
Swampy said:
Trench said:

I haven't tried 3F in the .58 yet. At some point I probably will, but I'm a self admitted recoil wimp and the snappier recoil of 3F tends to

Ha! Well, my rifle is just shy of 9 lbs with a a 2.25 inch butt. It handles recoil well...but the shooter behind it doesn't. :rotf: I just know myself, and I know I'll be flinching till kingdom come with 90gr of 3F. :grin:

With the load your shooting there isn't a deer alive which could survive a shot in the goody box from your Virginia. Then again, I think the deer today are wimpier than we had 30 years ago. When I was 25 I needed 130 grains with a 500 grain maxi to kill a deer. Now at 54 I only need a little .50 cal round ball with 65 grains FF to kill a whitetail. The deer just aren't as tough as they use to be... :rotf:

John

Trench said:
Swampy said:
Trench said:

Just do what I do, shut your eyes, grit your teeth and hold on! :haha: :wink:

Rifle weight is going to be a huge factor in recoil. My three range from around 7 pounds up to 12 pounds. The 7 pounder isn't bad at all with 80 grains of 3f and a PRB, and you feel almost nothing with that load in the 12 pounder. The 12 pounder came to me used, with a pencil mark on the ramrod which investigating revealed that the previous owner was shooting 110 grains of whatever in it. I tried some 2f with a little trepidation, but 110 in that rifle doesn't feel like it kicks as much as 80 grains of 3f in the 7-pounder. Out of curiosity I tried it in the lighter gun, and holy cow. That's enough for me!

If your Virginia is up in the 8-9 pound range, I'm betting you can up the charge or switch to 3f and not notice the difference. That is, unless it happens to shoot even better with more or different powder. Then you might really learn to love a little recoil! :rotf:

Swampy said:
Trench said:
Swampy said:
Trench said:

Just do what I do, shut your eyes, grit your teeth and hold on! :haha: :wink:

:shocked2: BOY!! That Explains ALOT! :blah:

Back