• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 Cal Loads for Buffalo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This .62 smoothbore loaded with 80gr's 2ff behind a 595 prb went completely through this buff from 70yd's

Buffalo1.JPG

mahkagari said:
Also, don't forget to check the condition of your fired patches. If they are ripped or badly burned where the ball tried to meet the barrel you will never get good accuracy.

What would I correct there? Lately, all I have been seeing is smoldering remnants of patches.

IMO, that is 90% of the reason your getting poor groups.

Burned, torn or ripped patches will never allow the rifle to shoot accuretly.

You didn't say what kind of patches you are using except to say your gun likes .015 thick patches better than it does .010 or .020 thick patches.

Are the patches you are using "pre-lubricated"?
I've seen cases where the pre-lubricated patches cloth fibers have broken down and blown apart when they were shot. The break down of the cloth was due to their age.

I'm assuming your patches were store bought? If so and if they were not the pre-lubricated kind, the amount of lube your using might be the problem.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me but I think the patch should be lubed on both sides with enough lube to dampen the fibers all the way thru.
While the light powder loads used for target shooting can stand light lubrication the heavy powder charges often used for hunting can do a good job of vaporizing lightly lubed patches.

If adding some extra lube doesn't keep the patch from burning, try going back to the thicker .020 patch.
Yes, the .020 thick patch is harder to load but if using them with enough lube stops them from burning they should improve your group size.

Loading a lubed patch on top of the powder charge before loading the patched ball, like excess650 mentioned can also protect the balls patch from burning.
Because it is between the powder charge and the patched ball, it serves as a firewall against the flame. It also gets blown into the area just behind the place where the balls patch meets the bore. This will add extra sealing to that critical area, preventing the hot gasses from blowing past and burning thru the balls patch.

If you have a cloth store or a Walmart that sells cloth, you might look for some "pillow ticking" to use for your patches.

It is usually about .016-.020 thick, blue/white or red/white striped, made from 100% cotton and one yard worth of it will provide you with well over 500 patches.
They can be cut into squares and they will work just as well as the round patches most people think of. For your .58, they should be cut into 1 1/2" squares (or circles if you want).

Until you get this patch problem solved, you won't be able to get the gun to shoot up to its potential.
Because of this, get a spotter to help you if you can. His/her job will be to keep track of where the patches land so after shooting a few times, you will be able to find them.

It might sound odd, but this patch burning issue is so important, if you can't find a helper, it will be worth your time and money for YOU to watch for the flight of the shot patch rather than concentrating on aiming the gun.
Yes, aim it so the shot hits the berm but watch for the flying patch. It will usually go about 6-12 yards downrange.

The shot patches can have the center area burned and the outer threads will be torn and tattered from the wind blast but the area where the ball meets the bore should be unburned and show no signs of being cut or torn.

Once you get the patches to look like that, then you can get back to testing various powder charges and reducing the size of your groups. :)

Zonie said:
The shot patches can have the center area burned and the outer threads will be torn and tattered from the wind blast but the area where the ball meets the bore should be unburned and show no signs of being cut or torn.

Once you get the patches to look like that, then you can get back to testing various powder charges and reducing the size of your groups. :)

Yup. I checked my photo files, and sure enough I have some patches recovered during one of my lube trials. Purty!

Zonie said:
Burned, torn or ripped patches will never allow the rifle to shoot accuretly.

You didn't say what kind of patches you are using except to say your gun likes .015 thick patches better than it does .010 or .020 thick patches.

Are the patches you are using "pre-lubricated"?

Using .018" Eastern Maine Shooting Supply pillow ticking pre-lubed.

If adding some extra lube doesn't keep the patch from burning, try going back to the thicker .020 patch.
Yes, the .020 thick patch is harder to load but if using them with enough lube stops them from burning they should improve your group size.

Yeah, .020 won't even start. :) 'Bout broke my wrist trying. Glad I found the .018".

Loading a lubed patch on top of the powder charge before loading the patched ball, like excess650 mentioned can also protect the balls patch from burning.

I'll give that a try. Do I just take a patch, wad it up and push it down with the ramrod before the bullet? Do I need to seat it well before pushing the bullet down? Asking in particular for follow-up shots with a ****** off bull.

They can be cut into squares and they will work just as well as the round patches most people think of. For your .58, they should be cut into 1 1/2" squares (or circles if you want).

Ya know, I swear I see denim patches all over the range. Anyone know their thickness? I like denim for cleaning.

Because of this, get a spotter to help you if you can. His/her job will be to keep track of where the patches land so after shooting a few times, you will be able to find them.

Yeah, I oughta take a rake with me and clear the space first. 10 yards from the firing line looks like the aftermath of a ticker tape parade. :grin:

In other update, managed to get under 6" today off of sticks. I'd love to say under 3" with a couple of flyaways, but that's not accurate. Did get a nice 3" group, though it is 4" high and to the right. I'm sure that's about me getting used to the sights. It's much better than the 18" right I was getting a week or two ago. Funny that it seemed like I was grouping better off of sticks than the benchrest.

And I've got a nice bruise forming on my arm from the offhand settle spot.

mahkagari said:
...pre-lubed....

For me, that right there is the magic word. I've never had any brand hold together. Dunno if they get old on the shelf or what. But the moment I went to lubing my own, patches quit shredding and accuracy improved. A bunch.

I see denim patches all over the range. Anyone know their thickness? I like denim for cleaning.

I don't recall the thickness of (most) denim. But, it is thicker than (most) ticking. I'm guessing it will be in the .018" to .020" range. Of course, each rifle has individual tastes but, usually, regular mattress ticking will be good. I have a lot of denim in hand from my days of being an obsessed 'X' hunter. I used a .457" ball with denim in a Douglas barrel. Required a lot of mallett work to seat the ball. As for using denim for cleaning, I believe that is a waste. Less expensive baby blanket cotton flannel is my choice. Cut-off ends or on sale colors can be very inexpensive. Ignore the looks the ladies will give you when shopping for this stuff. :grin:

Rifleman1776 said:
Less expensive baby blanket cotton flannel is my choice. Cut-off ends or on sale colors can be very inexpensive. Ignore the looks the ladies will give you when shopping for this stuff. :grin:

And ignore the noises you hear on the range. I pull out my cleaning patches with their cute little penguins and reindeer, and you should here the choking and snorting up and down the line. :rotf:

Rifleman1776 said:
As for using denim for cleaning, I believe that is a waste. Less expensive baby blanket cotton flannel is my choice.

Kids are well past cotton baby blankets, but we all go through plenty of jeans.

Was kind of all over this morning, but grouping is still getting down. Could not handle that 13lber for **** shooting prone. Was able to break out the Crony and got 1591 fps.

Latest posts

Back