• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You always fire 2 caps to dry the fire channel, and you always fire it over blades of grass, while watching for grass blade movement. If the grass moves, then your fire channel is clear.
I go 1 step further.
I have a "nipple charger" that charges the just nipple with real BP, and fire the caps in the same manner as above.
This will create the dirty barrel effect, so your 1st shot, as well as your 2nd+ shot, shoots to the same POI.

I have a .54 TC Hawken percussion that I have owned and used for quite a long time now. It has developed an annoying habit of not firing with the first cap when newly loaded. I have not changed the way I do anything with the rifle, but it now will not fire when freshly loaded with the first cap, always goes off with the second. Any thoughts?
I would look at the nipple as the primary source of your problem. Could be that the caps aren't seating properly due to sizing issues, as not every size 11 cap and nipple are the same. Also the nipple could be starting to mushroom slightly due to age and the cap wont seat properly. Changing the nipple is the easiest thing to try. I keep extra nipples on hand for this- and for when I drop them when cleaning and cant find them.

Latest posts

Back