• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54/28ga tradegun/fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjkershul

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As I progress through life I find that I cannot handle my.75 Brown Bess Musket as well as I did when I was younger.

I am thinking about getting a .54/28ga. tradegun or fowler. When I was more into the smoothbore competition scene in the Midwest, 10 years ago, I noted that the heavy barreled .54 guns were starting to make a name for themselves.

What is the collective experience and opinion of the list pertaining to the .54/28ga. smoothbore for rendezvous competition?

When I decided to go beyond hitting a gong and to start competing with rifle shooters I realized that I would need a lot of practice. I wanted to show them that despite our relaxed competitive attitude, smoothies were serious firearms.

I was shooting a .600 ball out of a 20 ga. trade gun with about 70 grains of 3F. I was casting about 22 balls to the lb. of lead. I built a 28 ga. trade gun that shoots a .526 ball with 55 grains of 3F. I get about 33 balls to the lb. The obvious advantage is the 28ga is cheaper to shoot and I shoot a lot.

Since I am a reenactor as well as a target shooter my guns are replicas of 18th century trade guns. They are not the optimal target gun. Because the 28 ga. is built on a 20ga barrel blank, it is much heavier. I also does not help that I left it a 42 inches vs. 38” for my 20 ga.

Compared to my 54 cal. rifle with rear sight and set triggers, my off hand smoothbore group size is about twice as large. I did manage to place second in the International Smoothbore match at the Nationals in Friendship IN last September. A lot of the competitors use 28 ga. and load them heavy.

For Turkey hunting I use my 20 ga. with 65 grains of 2f and 1 3/8 oz. of shot. It is a cylinder bore with the standard card and cushion wads. I keep my range under 18 yards over turkey decoys.

At this point I have only patterned the 28 ga. with shot on paper. I have not used it hunting as the 20 ga. is much lighter and handier in the field.

If you are going to compete with the top shooters you are going to shoot a lot and at times use a heavier load. I find the 28 ga. smoothbore works well for this. Also, it is often the smallest bore size allowed in some smoothbore competitions.

Grandpa,

Laffindog's trade guns(North Star West) are not heavier in the smaller gauges. His are contoured according to the gauge and not a "one size fits all". If I ever get a second flinter his 28 ga. Early English may be at the top of my list.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

I built a 28g Fusil De Chasse from the Mold & Gun Shop. 41" barrel, stout breech, so it is about 8# finished. I don't get much practice shooting, but even so I feel it is plenty accurate for a smoothie.

I hit a gong once at 100yds. The rest of that match I hit about 50% of the targets, which I was told was good. :idunno: These were clays on strings, bowling pins, small wood blocks, etc.
I'm sure this doesn't sound like much to a lot of shooters here, but I was happy. For me, the 28 is the smoothbore I am most likely to do my best shooting with.

For what it's worth.

John

I have a 28 gauge Chiefs Grade Trade Gun from North Star West and it is my favorite smoothie. But the outside contour is the same as his 24 gauge. So, it is a tiny bit heavier than a true 28 gauge contour, but it sure does bother me I use it for everything. What I don’t know is if this is true throughout his entire line of smoothbores.

Link Clay Smith Kit G trade gun

The smallest bore is 24/.58.
These are light. I have handled one and it was less than 5 pounds! The 24 may be a little heavier than the 20/.62 ,but still. :shocked2:

These were common with rear sights, so if you are going to compete, you may want to omit that in such a gun.

It's not a G type but I do have a 28 with a 42" bbl no rear sight. I find that it is accurate to 55 yards or so. I also find it is better at point and shoot or snap shots as I have a tendency to blow it on small distant targets if I have plenty of time.

602006_3851675908752_1108849568_n.jpg

190367_138693499631881_1682177301_n.jpg

65977_138693526298545_935622223_n.jpg

73827_10151184983323220_1399271578_n.jpg

The .54/28 in action.

Let's just say it's a "Carolina type" from a Corinth maker.
Mine has been fine and it has served me well but it was not what I ordered.
I just happy to get it.
All things considered she has been a fine gun. Would I recommend the maker? NO.

Back