• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54/28ga for turkey..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a nice little 54 smoothie "carbine" and was wondering if it is plausible to use it for a turkey hunt. I know I'd be limited as to shot volume capacity so would appreciate suggestions in that department.
Anyone here ever try or succeed with this caliber/gauge?

I have not. I do assume you can easily kill yer turkey but yer gonna have to get it in CLOSE. Heck a .22lr shot shell will kill one just fine at an acceptable range (3 feet?)

I have not taken turkey with it, but I have an original .55 caliber/28 gauge smoothbore which I've worked up loads for. I shoot 55 gr. 2Fg and equal volume of #5 shot for squirrels and have taken several in the 25-30 yard range with that load. I have hunted turkeys with that same load and #6 shot, but haven't had a shot at them, yet. I will insist on a 20 yard shot and no further if I ever do . I've loaded the gun with modern wads, 1/8" OP card, 3/8" lubricated cushion wad and thin OS card, and also with both cedar bark and tow, get good patterns out to 25 yards with both, and have killed squirrels with both.

Spence

I have hunted with a 28 gauge for over forty years on rabbits and pheasants,using 55 grain FF and 3/4 ounce #6 shot. For Turkey I would recommend #4 shot and no more than thirty yards. Yes, I know others think you need to go larger but I believe it will work as long as you are serious about limiting your range and only take clear shots.I use a paper shot cartridge to keep the patterns tight. I recommend you try some shots to test your patterns, and penetration. (tin cans make an excellent penetration test) before you start hunting. :idunno:

As already stated, within the right range and with the right load, absolutely possible! :grin:

Make sure and check hunting regs. Many states require 20 gauge minimum.

Good luck!!

Thank you all for the information and tips Gents. :hatsoff:
I checked the Ks. regs and they don't specify a minimum gauge so guess I'll get started working up a shot load. :)
I have #4 and 6 so I can work with them. I also have some mixed 4+6 that worked well in the 20 gauge. :hmm:

Are you limited as to shot size or number of pellets in your load? If not, I would use a PRB. And have! :thumbsup:

The 28 guage should be enough to take a turkey but I think if it were me using one I would use #4 or #6 shot to keep the pattern dense and limit my shots to the head and neck areas.

If a body shot on a going away bird was the only shot available I would pass.

Also, as the others have said, I would limit the range to maybe 25 yards after I figured out how good the pattern was at that distance.

If the pattern at 25 yards was too open I would cut the max range down to 20 yards.

I think one of our members did kill a turkey a few years back. Roundball,you might could do a search under his name and find some info. :idunno:

PaulN/KS said:
Shot size no bigger than #2 and no smaller than #9...

For what it's worth, here are my loads:

28ga:
Small game: 60gr FFFg, 2 cardboard OP cards, 1 oz #6 shot, 1 OS card

Turkey: 70gr FFFg, 1 cardboard OP card, 6" jute cord frayed into a ball of fiber for use as TOW, 1 more cardboard OP card, 1 7/8 oz #6 shot, 1 OS card

Deer/hogs: 70 gr FFFg, 2 leather OP wad/cards, patched .527 RB or .515 PRB, with different patch thicknesses of course.

Now before you go trying these loads, my .54 smoothrifle is a Lyman GPR flinter with a GM smoothbore barrel that is 32" long by 15/16", so it is a heavy barrel with lots of steel in it, and the above loads are safe in mine, but may not be if yours is a light-weight fowler. I really don't know since you didn't specify what exact gun you're using, so the above loads may or may not be of any use to you. I use the heavy shot load when required to use loose shot (by land owner), and it gives a good pattern out to about 30 yards with my gun, but when allowed to, I switch to the PRB (allowed by State law) and get good turkey killing groups out to about 60 yards.

And I use #6 shot just because that is what I can make myself, and it works for my needs. I have experimented with #4 buckshot (.240"), but my patterns weren't good enough for anything past 20-25 yards, so I standardized on the loads above.

As you mentioned #4 buckshot in the loads you've tried, maybe I should clarify my post.
When I mentioned #4 shot in my post above, I was talking about #4 (.130 diameter) bird shot. :)

I knew that was what you meant. It's why I specified the .240" size, but glad you clarified cause it could cause the OP and others to get in hot water if there was confusion. Thank you!

Number 6 shot will provide a denser pattern and still maintain the energy you need out to 25 yards. 30 yards if you gun happens to pattern well at that range. You never know until you try. Experiment and see how it works. Use a marker of some kind when you are hunting. A tree, stump etc located at 25 yards. It is too easy to get excited when they come in. We all look forward to the photo this spring!

Pat Cameron

Hello fellow Kansan. I have taken three turkeys in the last two years with my 28 gauge fusil and looking forward to another one or two this spring. I am using #6 shot and try to keep my range under 20 yards. The 28 gauge will do the job.

Hello back to ya. :hatsoff:
I'll get out and start working up a load here soon as it gets warmer out back. The hardest part, for me, will be finding the turkey... :idunno:

Back