• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'51 Navy repair update, & question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so after some conferencing with both Don at the Possible Shop, and the gunsmiths at Traditions, things are settled. First off, I'd like to give Don props for his knowledge and efforts in squaring this away for me.

The internals and the pin boring were not post-production after all. The Navy I ended up with was in fact new, but was an older piece made a few Traditions owners ago. The tooling and such was a little different, so when the smiths took a look, things were a little different than they are accustomed to, so they thought there was aftermarket work done.

Once this was established, the next step was to get the thing repaired. Traditions couldn't do it, since they only have equipment to service current factory weapons, and aren't geared to modify. After consulting with everybody, I agreed to accept a display Navy they had to replace the unrepairable one.

Well, it got here yesterday, and it looks pretty good. It's been cycled quite a bit and dry-fired (don't care, I use Tresos), and the bolt is way too think for the cylinder notches. I'll have to measure and file it down. Something I hadn't seen before that struck me odd was the top of the bolt itself. When gripping the weapon, the top of the bolt is cut in a right down to left angle. The bolt on the other revolver was level.

Either way, other than the bolt width, fit and finish is outstanding IMO.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Same on the bolt. I bought a new Pietta bolt that had the angle for my 1851. My Pietta 1860 made in 1989 I got from kwilfong has the level top.

The angle is because the bolt is not on the cylinder centerline. It is off set slightly and therefore is angled to match the cylinder curve.

Latest posts

Back