• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50cal T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45leadflinger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my first post so I hope I'm doing it correct. Recently bought me a tc Hawken 50cal. Was tickled to death to have a rifle. Anyway I shot it a couple of shots and then stripped it down and refinished it. Cleaned and cleaned on the bore but still didn't feel right compared to my pistols. I bought a bore light today and darn my pride and joy is now making me sick. What are my options with a 50cal barrel, is there enough meat on it to be bored out? And I've seen you guys talk about re-lining, what exactly is that. Thanks for any help, and I really enjoy this sight.

On a TC Hawken fifty you most likely have a 15/16" across the flats. How deep TC made the threaded holes for the rear sight and the under rib will determine how much you can have taken out of it. Going .54 should be totally doable but measuring the depth of the holes is the first thing to do.
About relining, the barrel gets bored out and a finely machined sleeve permanently installed.
With either process you get what ever geometry and twist of rifling you ask for.
Reboring is typically less expensive than relining.
Hope that helps.

T/C Hawken take-off barrels are a dime a dozen online @ about $70 (much less costly than a rebore) - just get a barrel the measures the same across-the-flats (either 15/16" or 1")as your barrel, so the replacement barrel will fit the stock inletting & hammer position (L/R).

Thanks Pete. I seen where stonewall creek has them also, I will give them a call tomorrow. And I'm gonna continue searching the web.

Yer welcome.

Don't be so leary of what's out there, that you miss out on getting a good/decent barrel for chump change.

If you read through all the ads (gunbroker, etc) carefully, and/or talk (email) the seller about the condition, a fairly good deal may be had.

I had a T/C Renegade .56SB Smooth Bore (1" bbl)long gun that I was able to get a used/perfect .54 cal Renegade barrel for a BIN (buy it now) price of only $70 shipped.

They do seem to pop up regularly. Who sold you such a gun and just how bad was it anyway?

Welcome, have fun, and be safe!

I had my TC 50 cal. re-bored to 54 cal. by Bob Hoyt. He did the round bottom rifling in 1 in 66" twist. I spent $150.00 including shipping both ways and the wait time was reasonable. I've never regretted it. Shoots great.

Is that the price Hoyt is charging to rebore a 50 cal tc to 54 cal. how much of a turn around did it take?

About a 1/3 of the way up from the breech it almost looks like it chewed up in there. I only shot it at 25 yards due to limited space and I was very pleased. Considering I wasn't experimenting with any loads and it was freehand. I'm not experienced with muzzleloader a very much but when comparing that barrel to my pistol barrels, Ray Charles could see the difference.

Pete44ru said:

T/C Hawken take-off barrels are a dime a dozen online @ about $70 (much less costly than a rebore) - just get a barrel the measures the same across-the-flats (either 15/16" or 1")as your barrel, so the replacement barrel will fit the stock inletting & hammer position (L/R).

You won't get anything worth even looking at on EBAY for less than $150...if you want unfired you will pay $350 or more. I got a Custom Shop barrel for Renegade...it is 31" and has Roundball Twist 1-66 stamped on barrel. Unfired $378.... YOu won't get anything new for less than $300 on there. I look all the time and have bought stock and barrel off there before.

Thanks JimBob. Yeah I'm a lookin on eBay and exactly what you said is what I'm seeing. Gonna see about getting it re-bored.

For what it is worth. I purchased a Green Mountain drop in barrel for a .50 cal T/C hawken from Tip Curtis Frontier shop back in the early part of 2013. He still has an ad on the National Muzzleloading rifle association website. Just google Tip Curtis gm barrels and it should pop up.

Whether he has any left I don't know but you would have to check. Green Mountain quit making the drop in barrels, and they are very hard to find. But GM continues to make BP barrels according to their website.

They will cost more than a rebore from Bobby Hoyt but Green mountain makes a very accurate round ball shooting rifle with a 1:70 twist.

Jim Bob said:
Pete44ru said:

You won't get anything worth even looking at on EBAY for less than $150...if you want unfired you will pay $350 or more. I got a Custom Shop barrel for Renegade...it is 31" and has Roundball Twist 1-66 stamped on barrel. Unfired $378.... YOu won't get anything new for less than $300 on there. I look all the time and have bought stock and barrel off there before.

All things come to those who wait.

FWIW, I bought my $70 Renegade barrel on gunbroker - but it would be an unreasonable expectation, to find one every day.

I love cashing in, once in a blue moon. ;)

Well I guess I know what fouling looks like now. I spent most of the day ramming a brush in and out of the barrel. Soaked it last night with kroil oil, and then soaked it about 2 hrs with hoppes black powder # 9 and then after cleaning that out thorough I soak it about a hour with Butch's bore shine and I'm making progress. About 90% looks good with the exception of right above the breech. I will keep on trying to get it better but right now it doesn't look all that bad. Thanks everyone for all of the comments on this..

Back