• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Smoothbore Thoughts.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas.bill92

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I have a Pedersoli Frontier in .36 that I bought brand used and despite what the description said, it did not have a bright and shiny bore. I have spent quite a bit of time working on it to get it to a point where it loads easily and shoots fairly well but it's still a pain to clean with the pitting and all. At some point I want to either buy or have a nice .40 flinter made, at which point I am considering getting the 36 bored out to a 50 caliber smooth bore which is somewhere between a .410 and a 28 ga. This is mainly because I really enjoy squirrel hunting with a shotgun but I don't have any black powder shotguns (yet). Do y'all think it would be worth the work to turn that gun into a scattergun or leave it as is and look for something else?

The result would handle and feel like a smoothbore rifle more than a fowling piece or shotgun because of the architecture of the gun. Some people like that, some prefer the fowling piece or shot gun style for a smoothbore, all-purpose gun. You have to ask yourself how well the gun fits you and how it feels. Does it point and shoot intuitively and quickly for you? Have to be fast once the hounds flush the rabbit out. You will also want to have a barrel guy's thoughts on barrel wall thickness. Going .36 to .50 is a substantial jump. The breech barrel wall area is the main area of concern.

The result would handle and feel like a smoothbore rifle more than a fowling piece or shotgun because of the architecture of the gun. Some people like that, some prefer the fowling piece or shot gun style for a smoothbore, all-purpose gun. You have to ask yourself how well the gun fits you and how it feels. Does it point and shoot intuitively and quickly for you? Have to be fast once the hounds flush the rabbit out. You will also want to have a barrel guy's thoughts on barrel wall thickness. Going .36 to .50 is a substantial jump. The breech barrel wall area is the main area of concern.
Those are some good points that I had not considered. I have thought about the barrel diameter though, I will double check but I think the same barrel is used up to the .50 (its quite a heavy rifle, lotta steel up front).

That could well be. I know some of the manufacturers use the same barrels for a wide range of calibers to save costs. I have a .36 barrel that could very well be bored up to .50 with no problem, and it makes for a very heavy gun in .36.

So I have a Pedersoli Frontier in .36 that I bought brand used and despite what the description said, it did not have a bright and shiny bore. I have spent quite a bit of time working on it to get it to a point where it loads easily and shoots fairly well but it's still a pain to clean with the pitting and all. At some point I want to either buy or have a nice .40 flinter made, at which point I am considering getting the 36 bored out to a 50 caliber smooth bore which is somewhere between a .410 and a 28 ga. This is mainly because I really enjoy squirrel hunting with a shotgun but I don't have any black powder shotguns (yet). Do y'all think it would be worth the work to turn that gun into a scattergun or leave it as is and look for something else?
It sure will work if the barrel is thick enough. I got a barrel .50 caliber reamed out to .58 caliber smooth bore and it works great. I took a turkey with it this spring.

Those are some good points that I had not considered. I have thought about the barrel diameter though, I will double check but I think the same barrel is used up to the .50 (its quite a heavy rifle, lotta steel up front).

If you're going to that trouble then have the barrel bored out to .550 and it will be a 28 gauge. Good for turkey and squirrel and rabbits.....

LD

I got my grandson a little youth .50 calibre percussion smoothbore. I had my reservations, but for the last year he’s totally enjoyed shooting the gun. Using 35-40 grain loads (8 year old)…he’s able to hit the gong out to 50 yrds. I’ve enjoyed shooting the gun, but the trigger pull is so short for me.

This summer we’re going to develop a couple shot-loads for the gun. I bought a 1/2” arch punch to cut wads for the loads…shoot some clay pigeons and do some fall blackpowder for doves.

I’d do it, I’m now looking for either a .54 calibre (28 gauge) smoothy or a .58 calibre (24 gauge) smoothy for me.

If you want a .40, you could have your .36 reamed and rifled to that caliber. That would take care of the pitted bore, and you would have the .40 you want for a couple hundred dollars. Just a thought.

However, a forum member named @Britsmoothy was a strong proponent of small-caliber smoothbores, and he was a very successful small game and bird hunter. I understand he recently left the forum, but you could search for his posts, and I suppose you might even find a way to contact him directly, if his member profile has not been deleted. The point being that a .50 caliber smooth bore can be useful, if that’s what you want.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

If you want a .40, you could have your .36 reamed and rifled to that caliber. That would take care of the pitted bore, and you would have the .40 you want for a couple hundred dollars. Just a thought.

However, a forum member named @Britsmoothy was a strong proponent of small-caliber smoothbores, and he was a very successful small game and bird hunter. I understand he recently left the forum, but you could search for his posts, and I suppose you might even find a way to contact him directly, if his member profile has not been deleted. The point being that a .50 caliber smooth bore can be useful, if that’s what you want.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I had thought about that but my .36 is a caplock and I would really love to have a nice flintlock for my .40. I did ask what people on here thought about converting it but it seemed pretty negative in general, apparently its like opening a can of worms with some rifles and I have already done that once with this one ;)

It sure will work if the barrel is thick enough. I got a barrel .50 caliber reamed out to .58 caliber smooth bore and it works great. I took a turkey with it this spring.
This is something that I am in the process of as we speak....errr, type! I bought a .50 caplock Renegade at a very good price and in very good condition. One call to Bobby Hpoyt ((717) 642-6696) confirmed it would be safe going to .58 Smoothbore, the price was $70 + shipping. I stripped the barrel and off it went! Now, the stock. A very good point is made regarding the handling qualities of the T/C stock. First, they certainly used enough wood! It's going to take some time to file and sand that chubby rascal into something that handles a little quicker and points a little more naturally. I'm thankful that the butt is cut off flat and clean, no Hawken-style buttplate. I'll reduce the LOP a tudge and make a new plate from some 1/8" scrap steel, then brown it. Fortunately for me, I have a .54 caliber Renegade I can pull the barrel off of to try any mods to the stock before the original comes home. It' s not gonna' be a fusil by any means, but I'm confident it'll be a rockin' little smooth rifle!

Back