• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up this 50 cal smoothbore. It's slim and trim, and light in hand. The makers stamp looks like J. W. Heckert. It's a beautiful gun, and I would like to contact the maker. Does anyone here know of this person?

Attachments

• IMG_20231022_142132.jpg
    IMG_20231022_142132.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231022_142046.jpg
    IMG_20231022_142046.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231022_141957.jpg
    IMG_20231022_141957.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231023_125554.jpg
    IMG_20231023_125554.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
No no no, i can't let you carry around something that ugly. Let me know where to send the check 😂 👍 nice.

Ok, but if I'm going to sell it already, you might not like the price!!! 😳

I'm just now sorting out the ammo, got a wad punch on the way. I'm looking forward to shooting it, it should be fun.

I appreciate your concern for me, thank you. What a thoughtful group we are! 🤣

Thanks Britsmoothy, the load info I got with it said .480 ball and 50gr 3f. I've had the same thought about range, and I can keep the range pretty close behind the house, like 30 feet close.
A wad punch came in the mail today, I'm going to try some thin cereal box cardboard for wads. What do you think about a felt lube wad between the powder and shot wads?
Also, the bore measures .498", I'm thinking about going closer to .470 ball with .018" patching. I prefer thicker patch, smaller ball for easy loading. My 20guage trade gun shoots very well like that

Thanks Britsmoothy, the load info I got with it said .480 ball and 50gr 3f. I've had the same thought about range, and I can keep the range pretty close behind the house, like 30 feet close.
A wad punch came in the mail today, I'm going to try some thin cereal box cardboard for wads. What do you think about a felt lube wad between the powder and shot wads?
Also, the bore measures .498", I'm thinking about going closer to .470 ball with .018" patching. I prefer thicker patch, smaller ball for easy loading. My 20guage trade gun shoots very well like that
A few thin cards will be ample.
I have used old hat felt in the past and they work very well also.
Beer mat are good to. Don't get to much beer on them!
Try two ball also. No patches, you might be surprised.

Thanks, I think I can find a cardboard beer box or two! I'll wring it out and see how it performs. Appreciate your advice, you seem to have a pretty solid handle on the small smoothbores

Hey, thanks Bill! I'll read it tomorrow on my lunch break. I wanted to shoot it a bit this weekend, but had a club swap meet and 22 woodswalk to set up and run, my weekend wasn't my own. I'll get a report up ASAP

Back