• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD .50 Cal Flintlock, Beautiful Exotic Wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danimal107

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was told by a ML authority this rifle looks to be built by a member of the Pennebacker family but I have not been able to verify this 100%. The Pennebackers are known gunsmiths dating back to the early 1800's. I spent hours researching and spoke to numerous people. It was my fathers rifle and it has been in my family over 55+ years.

.50 Cal, beautiful wood, inlays, and hardly ever shot. The stock is mint as can be... It's been a safe queen stored correctly in a cover with oil on it. Barrel is very nice and I can provide additional pics and videos to serious buyers.

Overall length is 51 inches
Length of pull is about 14 inches

Asking $2795 or shoot me an offer.
-Dan

Attachments

• IMG_6870.jpeg
    IMG_6870.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_6868.jpeg
    IMG_6868.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_6869.jpeg
    IMG_6869.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_6871.jpeg
    IMG_6871.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_6872.jpeg
    IMG_6872.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_6876.jpeg
    IMG_6876.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_6877.jpeg
    IMG_6877.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_6880.jpeg
    IMG_6880.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_6884.jpeg
    IMG_6884.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_6883.jpeg
    IMG_6883.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 407
Your lock looks like a haddaway. That might give a clue as to earliest possible build date.

A very nice rifle with a beautiful maple tiger stripe. I concur that is a contemporary build due to the cheek rest.

Who was W. P. Rush? The inscription on the barrel indicates it was made by him (fecit).
There was a well known sculptor named William Rush who lived during the Revolutionary War period.

Don, I have no idea who W.P. Rush is. There are also initials on the stock saying J.N.P.. Unfortunately I do not have any definite answers on the rifle. I am going off what a guy who deals in muzzle loaders told me. I am just relaying the info here but he very well could be wrong and I want to be fully transparent that none of this info on the builder is proven. I had a handful of people look at it and no one had a clue or even a guess except for this guy. I spoke to Track The Wolf but they wanted nothing to do with helping me unless I consign the rifle with them. (which I may still do)

If anyone wants to further investigate because they are interested in purchasing I am more than willing to work with you in any way to definitively indentify this rifle.

Send me some offers gentlemen... Worst I can say is no...

I realize I am new here. Fyi I have positive feedback selling on Gunbroker with the same name. I also have references I can provide of people I have sold to off Armslist...

It's funny that I see so much GB here, and armslist lol? The people with money who aren't bottom feeders are all on these boards, GunsAmerica, and though it is dying now, GunsInternational. Stuff like this will get much more on either. But since the armchair experts here seem to feel that your backstory is at least a hundred years off, you may want to consign it. It sounds like your father may have been duped, or at least there is a doubt.

It's funny that I see so much GB here, and armslist lol? The people with money who aren't bottom feeders are all on these boards, GunsAmerica, and though it is dying now, GunsInternational. Stuff like this will get much more on either. But since the armchair experts here seem to feel that your backstory is at least a hundred years off, you may want to consign it. It sounds like your father may have been duped, or at least there is a doubt.
In post #3, the OP says he believes the gun to be from around the 1960's.

The "armchair experts" here correctly identified it as a contemporary build.
1612919827380.png

This is a Haddaway. Notice the frizzen screw, frizzen spring, single screw on the lockplate, and hammer shape. The OP's lock is more likely a Siler.

Last edited:
Is that ivory on the buttstock?
If it is, be careful, to my understanding you can still sell products in USA that contain ivory from the african elephant if you sell it only within your state and that you can prove that it was from before 1990 laws.
Perhaps its not ivory and then your fine.

It is a beautiful gun, I want it

Funny I didn't notice it was him posting that lol. At first blush it appears he is saying it's from the 1800s. Is armchair expert an offensive term?

No one was duped and I have been more than forthright here. There is a Pennebacker that would have been alive in the 60's when this rifle was built who builds guns and has the initials that are engraved on the rifle.

As I have said I have no clue if this is who built it. We have no proof... I am just relaying the info I was told after talking to many "experts" about the rifle.

Is that ivory on the buttstock?
If it is, be careful, to my understanding you can still sell products in USA that contain ivory from the african elephant if you sell it only within your state and that you can prove that it was from before 1990 laws.
Perhaps its not ivory and then your fine.

It is a beautiful gun, I want it

There is no ivory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back