• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#5 lead shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendrolet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:surrender: OK....I give up! I am trying to find some #5 lead shot for my .56 cal smoothie. Is there ANY place that sells LESS than a 25 lb bag? I just don't need that much.
Can anyone help?
(I'm in North Georgia)

Thanks!!!!!!

Copper plated is lead shot with a thin layer of copper on it. It's still lead shot and O.K. to use.

avoid copper- or nickel-coated lead shot b/c apparently they accelerate the corrosion of lead.

I am usually happy to accept the voice of experience. But this "apparently" thing could be the start of a new myth. I'm skeeptikal. Do you have any scientific evidence to support that notion?

Rifleman1776 said:
avoid copper- or nickel-coated lead shot b/c apparently they accelerate the corrosion of lead.

I am usually happy to accept the voice of experience. But this "apparently" thing could be the start of a new myth. I'm skeeptikal. Do you have any scientific evidence to support that notion?
...in that the plating covers the lead, how is the lead more apt to corrode? I have several bags of copper plated in the basement that predate the requirement of non toxic shot for waterfowl. I'll have to open 'em (canvas bags) and have a look. "Non toxic shot", now there's an oxymoron... :haha: created by morons. :blah: :rotf:

Sometimes two metals will corrode more severely when they're touching. It's called galvanic corrosion. I'm not sure if it happens between copper and lead but it seems plausible to me.

Copper and nickel plated lead shot has been around for a very long time. Never heard of or seen any issues with it.

As for galvanic corrosion it requires two dissimilar metals submerged in an electrolyte. Salt water being one of the primary culprits. Not something that generally goes on inside your shotgun.

The link provided above is concerned with soil contamination (yeah I read it) and how to reduce it. Again, lead in soil/water. Not something going on in a gun barrel.

And if Precision Reloading sells zinc plated lead I can't find it on their website (zinc coated steel, yes, plenty of that).

Back in the day, that is pre-"non-toxic" requirement, copper plated shot was the super premium load. The plating makes it a little less deformable and when loaded with a shot buffer it was reported to pattern much better for longer range. The old Federal Premium Copper 4 load killed clean at amazing ranges. I too have a bag that's been around since the lead shot waterfowl days and I use it for turkey hunting, with the buffer.

To actually answer your question, you can usually buy 25 lbs locally from a store, skeet club group buys etc, becuase that is what is commonly ordered and trucking in shot in large quantities really cuts the cost, for less than getting 10 lbs delivered. You can use the extra to cast into balls, give to friends, donate to your club. Extra lead, particularly shot, will never go to waste.

The other choice is, if you have a local sporting clays, skeet or trap club, they don't use #5, but many of their members reload and may have some 5s for loading hunting rounds that they would sell you a part bag of.

Rifleman1776:

In response to MikeEasy

Quote:

Slide 10 of the linked PDF (the use of zinc-lead composites to prevent the corrosion of lead ) above says: "Copper and nickel on lead accelerate the corrosion of lead, zinc-plating would protect the lead". They show the reasoning in slide 6.

Bakeoven Bill:

As for galvanic corrosion it requires two dissimilar metals submerged in an electrolyte. Salt water being one of the primary culprits. Not something that generally goes on inside your shotgun.

The link provided above is concerned with soil contamination (yeah I read it) and how to reduce it. Again, lead in soil/water. Not something going on in a gun barrel.

But kendrolet spoke of purchasing bulk shot, which may be stored for years. And there is always moisture in the air. So I use dessicants to keep shot dry.

Bakeoven Bill:

And if Precision Reloading sells zinc plated lead I can't find it on their website (zinc coated steel, yes, plenty of that).

:redface: I apologize. You are correct on both points. Sorry for the misdirection.

On the bright side, there's a niche for a new product (zinc-coated lead) there! How hard can it be? :grin:

And page 7 of your PDF file shows how they tested it.
Results of 24-hr Leaching Test with 0.1 N Acetic Acid

Again, without an electrolyte there is no corrosion. Corrosion of plated shot is a non issue. I buy mine in bulk and store in the original container in the garage with no problems.

If it was a problem, manufacturers would be falling all over themselves to make zinc plated pellets. Instead they keep plugging along making copper and nickel plated shot.

You are imagining a problem where there is none.

Bakeoven Bill:
Again, without an electrolyte there is no corrosion. Corrosion of plated shot is a non issue.

Electrolytes are everywhere and lead merits the term "amphoteric metal" because it reacts with both acids and bases. So lead corrosion can be a problem. shotgunworld.com has a thread titled "lead shot corrosion" about a fellow who has some old lead shot. And I had to go all the way to Canada to find this link, but I figgered it was worth the effort:

Storage of Metals - CCI Notes 9/2

See especially the section on lead.

I didn't tell you everything earlier: I not only use dessicants in the storage of lead, I also use VCI emitters! - A hang up I developed from all those chemistry classes, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hated chemistry! I have led shot been in the garage for over 20 years and its same as day i pt it there. But we have no humidity to speak of and its in a closet??? :idunno:

Back