• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4f powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Almost" being the operative word.
Robby
Reminds me of a situation a few years ago. For many years I owned a dive bar. I had three fellas arguing over different brands of beer. Coors light, Bud light and Mich ultra. I poured three solo cups full of beer and told them to figure out which brand was their personal favorite brand. The argument ensued for about ten minutes with each writing down which was which. One would say this cup was their brand because the other two cups tasted like manure. They were quite surprised when I told them that all three cups were cheap ol rot gut Natty light. The mind doesn’t always perceive as much as we think it does.

Why do you "need" 4f?
Not to beat a dead horse, but, you can prime with 3f or 2f. Many of the folks here, especially the hunters, do so.

There are only probably a couple hundred posts on here to that effect, with the subject coming up in a cycle with the 3 or 4 other subjects that get rehashed, over and over.......

Why do you care why he wants it? He did not ask a question that had been asked a hundred times. You responded with a question that had been rehashed a couple hundred times.

Where can I find powder is a perishable question. It changes constantly. If a person can’t ask that question this forum is pointless.

Reminds me of a situation a few years ago. For many years I owned a dive bar. I had three fellas arguing over different brands of beer. Coors light, Bud light and Mich ultra. I poured three solo cups full of beer and told them to figure out which brand was their personal favorite brand. The argument ensued for about ten minutes with each writing down which was which. One would say this cup was their brand because the other two cups tasted like manure. They were quite surprised when I told them that all three cups were cheap ol rot gut Natty light. The mind doesn’t always perceive as much as we think it does.
And for some of us, it does.
Robby

Sorry for asking the same question, thought folks on here would understand, guess not, anyway thanks for responding.

You did not ask a question that had been asked a hundred times. You asked where to get powder. That is a perishable question that changes constantly.

Your question was entirely appropriate. The answers you got were NOT answering your question. They were giving you advise you did not ask for.

You did not ask a question that had been asked a hundred times. You asked where to get powder. That is a perishable question that changes constantly.

Your question was entirely appropriate. The answers you got were NOT answering your question. They were giving you advise you did not ask for.
Not to be argumentative, but most of the answers were exactly to the point in answering his question. The OP said was wanting to shoot his rifle for the 1st time, and had thought that he that he would need 4F for the pan. I also gathered from his post that 4F was hard to find. A number of replies let him know that the 3F he had on hand would do just fine, and that 4F wasn't required to get reliable ignition.

Not to be argumentative, but most of the answers were exactly to the point in answering his question. The OP said was wanting to shoot his rifle for the 1st time, and had thought that he that he would need 4F for the pan. I also gathered from his post that 4F was hard to find. A number of replies let him know that the 3F he had on hand would do just fine, and that 4F wasn't required to get reliable ignition.

I respectfully disagree. His first sentence was:

I just need a pound, is there anywhere to buy 4f,,,, or any black powder?

He then gave more information as to why. People are commenting on it to help him. That is fine, but don’t then turn around and chastise him because you want to help.

He did not ask for help. They tried to give it. I just got slammed for this same thing on another post. I asked a simple question and then got chastised by a couple of members for asking it. Most of the responses were very helpful but there were a couple people who felt the need to point out the error in asking my question.

If new members can not come here and safely ask a very simple question, like where can I get some powder then you are not going to have any new members.

Even to OP posted:

“Sorry for asking the same question, thought folks on here would understand, guess not, anyway thanks for responding.”

So I do not think he felt very welcomed.

Why do you care why he wants it? He did not ask a question that had been asked a hundred times. You responded with a question that had been rehashed a couple hundred times.

Where can I find powder is a perishable question. It changes constantly. If a person can’t ask that question this forum is pointless.
Look Mr. Sensitive, he did state that he wants it because he wants to shoot his flintlock and only has 2f and 3f.
The fact is he does not need 4f to shoot his flintlock. But I seems that many shooters new to flintlock think they do. And it has been stated over and over again here that you do not need 4f to prime the pan.
At that point, "why" becomes a legitimate question. Maybe he is trying something wrong don't know about, maybe he has encountered a unique situation, or maybe he just didn't bother to search for the info or just scroll through the topics here.

And for some of us, it does.
Robby
Congrats on your spidey senses. Responses like this is why newbies think the world is gonna end trying to shoot a flintlock without some 4f in the pan.

Attachments

• DFEB3C7A-9F56-49DF-9C0F-FCF07B961A5F.jpeg
    DFEB3C7A-9F56-49DF-9C0F-FCF07B961A5F.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 13
3f to4f ? It’s easy enough to purchase a marble mortar and pestle from a kitchen supply business. The cost is about $18 . In a few minutes you’ll have all the 4f you desire. Many of the top top shooters grind 4f to 5f. Not many people can tell the difference while shooting, BUT your targets can. And that’s what counts. In very humid weather sometimes a courser grain is still needed.
Doc,

To actually answer your question, instead of giving you a guilt trip for asking it, call

Antiques Travelers & Traders in TX has plenty of Schuetzen.
Call them & they will ship the same day.
(806) 470-4130

I just bought some from them.
Thanks all, just talked to them and my order went in, ordered mostly 3f but, did get one 4f. Thanks for all the help.

We do understand.
But, there is also a search feature, and I've found a lot of good info, I would not have otherwise, by using it.

I would encourage you to use your 3f. Or, really, whatever you have more of.
I've found I prefer it. I don't have to carry around, or worry about running out of, more than one powder and 2f and 3f are not hydroscopic (but the burnt powder residue is so clean your pan) like 4f is.

The only real reason I can see to use 4f in the pan right now is to conserve main charge powder. But, that is only if one already has it.
With limited powder availability and rising prices, if I'm buying a pound of powder, I'm spending money on something I can use for both.
I know and yes, good advice, I guess I was just in a hurry, my wife says I have no patience, she’s right, thanks again for the info. Powder ordered.

I bar tended when I was in the service to make enough money to survive. I made a lot of money on guys swearing they could tell this beer or this liquor from another.

Why do you "need" 4f?
Not to beat a dead horse, but, you can prime with 3f or 2f. Many of the folks here, especially the hunters, do so.

There are only probably a couple hundred posts on here to that effect, with the subject coming up in a cycle with the 3 or 4 other subjects that get rehashed, over and over.......
I have the same problem, I have no idea why so many of the new gun articles in the gun rags start with "30-30 enough gun?" or "scoped or irons, which is better?" Perhaps it is because some folks have not been here for decades and would like a little insight without having to weed through several dozen searched posts that in most cases get hacked or sent off in a different direction...................but maybe not.......

Latest posts

Back