• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4f in a C/B?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20-30 grains of 3Fg, a wonder-wad and a ,454 ball. Exact load depends upon whether or not you want to "Magnumize" it like you do when you use 4F, or make the tightest group.

You can also add filler like cereal, but after 25 grains of 4F, that wimpy load will be a let-down :shake: .

I've heard that filling the chamber with 4F and a tight wax soaked in WD-40 makes an impressive blank load.

Well this one forced me to dig out the old first edition Lyman BP handbook. In that book they did test 4f in all calibers of revolvers. There really is surprisingly little difference in velocity and pressure between 3f and 4f. To take just one example at random:
In the 1851 Navy with .375" balls, 20 grains 3f gave 967 fps with a pressure of 8,300 LUP.
20 grains of 4f gave 1006 fps with a pressure of 8,460 LUP
Now with the 150 grain conical bullet pressure did jump. With that bullet 15 grains 3f gave 668 fps with a pressure of 8,500 LUP.
15 grains of 4f gave a velocity to that bullet of 787 fps at a pressure of 11,200 LUP.
With the exception of that one conical bullet they show very little difference between 3f and 4f in .31, .36 and .44 revolvers. In some instances 4f actually produced slightly less pressure than 3f.
SO THERE :blah: I've waited years for a chance to use that icon. :haha:

That sounds more like a 5Fg sporting powder. I have several ounces of what was reported to be 7Fg C&H and it is VERY fine.

Regards,
Joel

I do know of a competitive shooter who uses 4F in his ROA: really makes a different roar. I though then that he used too much for a target load, but whatever works.

4f in a flashpan produces a poof, 4f in a chamber produces a hand bomb. Would you burn nitro in the family Toyota?

Pustic

Matchlock72 said:
I am an American I would not own a Toyota. :grin: Your point is still valid.
The folks in Alabama, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi and West Virginia will be sorry to hear that.

Toyota manufactures a lot of their cars right here in the USA so a lot of American workers benefit from the company.

I am a student of history, so I remember that Toyota Mitsubishi and honda built and equipped the Jap army in ww2. Toyota also ripped off American patents to make their truks, and practiced nonlegal business practices to become the US second largest car producer. As an American it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We also have such short memories. My .02 now back to guns. :grin:

My memory isn't short. I'd never buy one.

I remember the old Land Cruisers. It was such a copy in the running gear to the Chevy you could exchange some of the parts.

CAS shooters have blown up a lot of guns. But with light loads of smokeless mostly.

FFFF is too fine though it, or something very similar, was used in small case revolver cartridges such a 38 S&W but they charge was not a full case, maybe 10 grains max. But I have not pulled a lot these apart so what was used by every loader in every era????

I would not use it. But again CAS shooters do a lot of things I would not do.

Dan

Well, if something were to happen, I imagine the first thing a Lawyer would do would be to check into the manufacturer's recommendations, and from there on out it could get interesting...

E

Back