• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4F in .31 1849

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snubnose57

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone here with any experience doing this? I inherited a pound of 4F with a rifle, so it is like a lifetime using this with my flinters. Have read a little on the internet, but wanted to hear from our experts on this forum.

Anyone here with any experience doing this? I inherited a pound of 4F with a rifle, so it is like a lifetime using this with my flinters. Have read a little on the internet, but wanted to hear from our experts on this forum.
I do not consider myself an expert SN, but I would never use 4FG as a main charge.
Keith.

Look at how thick the barrel wall is on your rifle for using 2 or 3 fg powder. Then look at how thin it is from the chamber wall to the exterior of the cylinder. 4fg is a much hotter higher pressure granulation and you ask if it is ok to put it in a pistol chamber having far less metal to hold the pressure? Not to mention the harder hammering of the ball against the forcing cone of the barrel and the possibility of excessive pressure causing the arbor to become loose or twist. I would never do it and would stand far behind anyone that did, with a first aid kit and 911 on speed dial.

Look at how thick the barrel wall is on your rifle for using 2 or 3 fg powder. Then look at how thin it is from the chamber wall to the exterior of the cylinder. 4fg is a much hotter higher pressure granulation and you ask if it is ok to put it in a pistol chamber having far less metal to hold the pressure? Not to mention the harder hammering of the ball against the forcing cone of the barrel and the possibility of excessive pressure causing the arbor to become loose or twist. I would never do it and would stand far behind anyone that did, with a first aid kit and 911 on speed dial.

This advice is 100 percent correct.
Do not experiment with 4F as a main charge.........period

Well, I guess that free pound of 4F will last forever after all. Just wonder what 4F was invented for beside priming? May call for a separate thread.

This advice is 100 percent correct.
Do not experiment with 4F as a main charge.........period
Hmmmm? Isn't the question of 4f, per the thread title, concerning a 31 cal pistol? Am I missing something? But is there a 1849 31 cal rifle?

It is even in the pistol category forum.

Lyman first edition has pistol loads for 4f up to 44 cal if I recall.

Yes they do. Usually Curtis and Harvey powder. Do you know how 1970 Curtis and Harvey powder compared to today's Swiss or Goex? They also were putting 180 grains of powder in some 50 caliber rifles. All those revolver shots were made with steel frame guns from machine rests IIRC Big difference between pushing the envelope in a laboratory with a remote firing device or in the real world held in the human hand. And as the Duke often said in his movies shortly before some mishap, "but you go ahead and do what you think is best." I have seen cracked/ruptured cylinders. Can you guarantee the OP that his 1849 revolver is made as well and with as good a metal as the guns used by Lyman. Or is the 1849, some FIE revolver put together from an Old Dixie kit with unknown metallurgy and chamber wall thickness. I would be less alarmed about it if the gun was a steel frame 1858 remington reproduction with a 36 caliber. Most of them had quite heavy chamber walls. I had a 1862 Uberti Police and the fluted chamber walls might have been 3/32nd ie not much steel for a 36 caliber.

With a 31 caliber you don't have much mass in the ball to get moving. That would be a factor in using 4f. 4f was often recommended as a acceptable powder in small caliber hand guns. Would I use 4f as a full power load in a 44 Colt or Remington reproduction. Not unless I absolutely needed to. In a .31? Yes, but I would probably keep the loads light.

Why would you take a risk, any risk, over a pound of powder? If you don't think you'l use it give it away or swap it for something.

I feel this is how I feel as well. I think a 25 dollar pound of powder is selling your possible body parts pretty cheap.

Specially when you have what sounds like several flinter rifles that the 4Fg will sure work as primer powder and if it be enough in spades for a lifetime of priming ... good on you! Why putz around with an unknown when there is a legitimate use for it right under your roof now.

my .31 holds like 10-12 gr 3f, I dont think 4f would do much damage at 10gr? Have yet to try it. If I do will advise. I know with 3f I note very little penetration in my customary ponderosa pine backstop.

Military tests require a ball to penetrate a 1 inch pine board. If it will not penetrate the board ... the military did not want it in the soldiers hands as a tool of war.

well the 1849 (imho) is/was a belly pistol....a deterrent to strong arming etc. I sure cant see mine having that much penetration. In its day though a bad guy sure wouldt wanna lay around with a belly shot for a week while he died. Mine is about perfect for a kiddo or young lady size wise. One of my favorite guns to shoot lately.

Do what you want to do.
Prostetic limbs are easily obtainable, or I may or may not be at your funeral.

Back