• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Round Ball Water Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammond79

40 Cal
Reaction score
Went out to test my .45 caliber deer load for penetration and expansion. I used a flat of half liter water bottles since it was cheaper than gallon jugs with usable leftovers. I also thought I'd be more likely to capture the spent ball.

My rifle is a Pedersoli Kentucky marked "Ohioan" on the top flat. I bought it of a forum member last summer. Finally got it out to work up a load and sight in this month.

The hunting load I worked up is 65 grains of 3Fg Schutzen with a .50 wonder wad and a .018 Oxyoke patch with a .445 Speer ball.

I tested this load today at 35 yards (70% of my self-imposed 50 yard max) with a single shot into the flat of water bottles. On examination the ball passed fully through the flat exiting out of the bottom of the last bottle. After a brief search I found the ball about 5 yards past the target on the ground still in a very straight trajectory.

The ball was flattened to about half thickness and expanded to about 5/8 of an inch. No doubt this load is plenty medicine for deer.

This might be another helpful data point for those on the fence about .45 PRB for medium game/deer hunting.
20240420_103318.jpg
20240420_103521.jpg
20240420_103920.jpg

Last edited:
I do similar test with my BP guns. I found that less is better and just as powerful. Most people have no ideal of the power of Blackpowder
I agree. I consider half the weight of the projectile to be a prudent maximum with blackpowder arms. So approximately 70 grains in .45, 90gr in .50, and 115gr in .54.

Blackpowder has been killing things on the game and battle fields for 700 years or so.

I've never even thought of doing such a test, but very interesting. I mean I've always shot for the best round ball accuracy as long as it was not too puny for a deer load. I reckon I have always relied on the fact that the round ball was plenty good enough based on history.

I've never even thought of doing such a test, but very interesting. I mean I've always shot for the best round ball accuracy as long as it was not too puny for a deer load. I reckon I have always relied on the fact that the round ball was plenty good enough based on history.
Round balls is really all you need. Remember someone or some company are trying to sell you something that you don't really need. Bigger and better, new improved and cost more

At what distance did your ball hit the Elk?
What brand, granulation and charge weight did you use?
It was a large lead cow in front of a small group. About 30 yards, in the "crease", centered a rib going in, tore across the heart and major plumbing of heart, both lungs of course, between ribs on the far side and caught by the skin. Goex 2f 90 to 110 grains I don't recall for certain 🤔. She ran full out for about 100 yards.

The recovered ball looks exactly like the only ball I've ever recovered from an animal. A 54 under the skin of an elk.
I've had the same experience on deer with a 54. The balls were flattened out under the skin on the off side. The 2 or 3 I remember anyway. Soft round balls kill way out of proportion to their weight.

Thanks for posting! I'm one of the "on the fence" shooters using a 45 T/C Cherokee. My only problem is 3 Fg is hard to find in my area without traveling 50 -60 miles for a can so I'm doing all my shooting with 2fg. Seriously thinking about switching to Pryodex that's equal to 3f in granulation and see if my groups tighten up.

Latest posts

Back