• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 pistol questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan d

36 Cal.
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I last posted, today I picked up a 45 cal pistol (not a revolver) I was wondering if it will shoot 45 maxi balls ?

Would they shoot better or worse than round balls ?

In my mind a bullet is better than a ball, but I wouldn't bet much on that as I am no black powder expert by any means. The gun has no markings, it is an older pistol, it has Spain stamped on the bottom of the 6 inch barrel.

Since I'm asking questions, I might as well as ask recommended loads for it. All I have is 2F pyrodox, I want to get some 3 F Goex, but for the little I would shot, I'm having a hard time justifying the hazmet charge.

Thanks,
Dan

A patched ball usually shoots better than a bullet and 25 to 30 grains of 3-F or Pyrodex should be a good load for a .45 cal pistol with a six inch barrel. I generally use 65 of 3-F in my .45 cal rifle with a patched ball for target work. MD

A patched .440 diameter lead roundball will be as effective as a bullet at pistol range.
It's velocity for any given powder load will be higher which will make up for its lighter weight.

Use a .440 diameter ball patched with a lubricated cotton patch that is about .010-.015 thick.

This will be difficult to start into the bore without a wood block but once it is started it will be pretty easy to push down the bore.

Lubricate the patch with Crisco, a vegetable oil or a factory made patch lube.

The powder charge should be anywhere from 20 to 35 grains. This is measured by volume and powder measures are available from many suppliers on the web and some gun stores.

If you have an old .38 special or .357 Magnum cartridge case it will make a great powder measure for you.
The .38 Special holds about 23 grains and the .357 holds about 27 grains of powder. Just right for your pistol. :)

Follow this link to see other cartridge cases tha can be used for powder measures.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/247958/
Do not use the pellets of powder offered by the gun stores. They were made for modern guns, not traditional side lock guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that you will be better served by a PRB Maxie Balls and those like them require a pretty stiff powder charge to upset them into the grooves! Good Luck! Geo. T.

Thanks for the advice ! :thumbsup:
Dan

Edit: Whoops that Thanks goes to all of you, I forgot how to reply here :redface:

Hmmmm......... That's weird, how do I reply a thank you to everyone, if I click on a reply it is to an individual & not the group.

Dan

Go back to the top and reply to yourself and it will be the correct way to reply to all.

The maxi ball will possibly migrate away from the powder charge if you tuck it in a belt and walk with it. Then you'll bulge the barrel if you fire it. Stick with the patched round ball. Plenty of power in a single shot pistol.

Bob

Thanks for that advice, I wouldn't want to take the chance of bulging the barrel. It sounds like patch & ball is what I better stick with.

Latest posts

Back