• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 cal Pistol, Jukar Spain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greebick

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a pistol that my uncle gave me for christmas. And i have never shot one or know anyone that shoots one what seems to be the best range and what size of powder should i be using? Also what is the maximum charge that can go in a pistol

A good starting place is 40 gr (by volume) of FFFg real black powder, or 35 gr (by volume) of FFFg Hodgdon's 777, or 40 gr (by volume) of Pyrodex P. You can use FFg or Pyrodex RS without harm if the others are not available. Use a .490 round ball and a single lubed patch (round or square) of 0.010 or 0.012 thick cotton (NO synthetics) material. Thicker patches can be used but will be harder to load.

Max load in one of those guns is 50 gr. The gun will obviously hold more, but after 40 gr you're pretty much expelling the powder rather than burning it, depending on how it was compressed. The result of overloading is really to decrease accuracy without significantly increasing energy on target.

Max range in my experience is about 50 yards, mostly due to the rudimentary sights that are common on those types of guns. The 40-50 gr powder load is actually effective up to about 100 yards given good shot placement, but the sights make that very difficult.

Sounds great, Thanks for the Info! Hopefully i will be able to get out next weekend during the holiday vacation and shoot it. right now we are getting the nice snow storm. Not bad but we have about 10inches and its still going strong! Thanks ill let you know How its going with the Pistol!

I think Mykeal misunderstood what caliber your pistol is when he made his recommendations. I have a .45 Jukar pistol also. You want to start with a charge of 30 grains of 3f powder or Pyrodex P then load a patched ball of .440 diameter. A ball of .490 would be too large for your gun but suitable for a .50 cal pistol.

Don

:redface:
Yep. Sure did. I read right over the .45 cal and inserted .50 cal. :snore: :nono:

.440 round ball, 30 gr FFFg real black, etc. like he said. :bow:

Back