• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

$4 nife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker_au

50 Cal.
Reaction score
picked this bowie knife up in a junk shop today for $4,looks like the brass gurd was ground of so i made the aluminium one on. its a high carbon steel blade or could be Solingen steel proberbly german made, it is 13 inches over all length and has a 8 inch blade the handle wood looks like cocabola but not shore. put it on my wet stone and it came up like a razor shaving sharp. can any of you guys tell if the wood is cocabola,the sheath is rubish but i will make a new one when i get sum more leather.
bernie :thumbsup:
100_4883.jpg

100_4881.jpg

had a little appron leather left so i coverd the old sheath next comes the painting, not bad for $4 bucks .
100_4886.jpg

100_4885.jpg

windwalker,
I have a similar looking knife,but it is S/S.
The handle is almost identical and is made
of rosewood.I'm not familiar with cocabola,
but I'm sure someone like Wick,or nifeman or
any number of other knifesmiths here are.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Lookingat the picture the handle looks like its made from some kind of laminate. Possible Micarta.spl?
I could be wrong.
T B.

looks like some kind of laminate to me too. Turned out real nice can't beat that for 4 dollars! :thumbsup:

tb had a mate look at it he is a stock maker[modern gns] he says it is diamondwood,he makes knives aswell and uses it all the time.

VERY NICE SOME GUYS TURN OVER A ROCK AND FIND A DIAMOND ,ME I FIND DIRT :rotf: :rotf: good looking knife :thumbsup:

Nice job on the sheath, the grip is a laminate
usually called "pakawood" but sometimes by other names.

Deadeye said:
Nice job on the sheath, the grip is a laminate
usually called "pakawood" but sometimes by other names.

Deadeye that is the outher name my mate said the wood is some times called as well as diamond wood.

windwalker_au said:
tb had a mate look at it he is a stock maker[modern gns] he says it is diamondwood,he makes knives aswell and uses it all the time.

Your friend is correct then.I'm only guessing from the looks of the picture.....Eitherway,it's a nice find.... :thumbsup:
T B.

Nice job. I get a certain satisfaction out of taking a weathersd , used tool and freshing it up some. Solingen steel is good, sharp enough to shave with. I have a couple of old "deer" knives with solingen blades and always amazes me how sharp you can get them. Good looking sheath too, you do very nice work :thumbsup:

Back