• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Civil war dagger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loja man

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Up for your consideration is a handmade dagger! It based off of an original Civil War dagger that a local picked up off the Perryville battlefield! The dagger remained in the family for many years. Eventually it worked its way into a private collection. It is now in a civil war display case at The First Southern National Bank in Lancaster Kentucky.
My daggers is a copy as close to the original as possible. Blade is 7 1/4” long of 80CRV2 carbon steel. Guard and cap are wrought iron from a door latch on a Kentucky tobacco barn! Ferrel is mild steel. The guard and ferrule are braised together. Handle is apple wood. The original dose not have a sheath so I made one that would reflect what would be common for the time and knife.
First 2 pics are of the original take through the display case.
For this unique piece I am asking $600 plus shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_4742.jpeg
    IMG_4742.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4741.jpeg
    IMG_4741.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5430.jpeg
    IMG_5430.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5433.jpeg
    IMG_5433.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5431.jpeg
    IMG_5431.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5432.jpeg
    IMG_5432.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5434.jpeg
    IMG_5434.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5785.jpeg
    IMG_5785.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Nice job. Not my 'thang' but a great piece for someone.
Thanks!! When my oldest son heard, I was going to forge a dagger. He asked “ Why, you said they were the most useless knife!!” LOL!! In my life I don’t find daggers a practical usable knife. Yet I greatly appreciate the history behind this one! If one was wanting to dispatch a person with a knife, boy howdy would this do it!! I hope is for it to go to someone that loves the time period the knife is from and appreciates the history tied to it!! I will say, though it feels really good in the hand!!! Makes one think about sticking something!

Excellent work Loja Man but I disagree about useless. I would consider a dagger the ultimate self defense weapon short of a handgun. You did a nice job recreating this piece.
Thank you for your kind words about my craftsmanship. I’m not gonna argue with that Tallpine! For their intended purpose, they’re fabulous!! I find them useless for my everyday knife chores….but if I need a knife to stick someone with….

Last edited:
Excellent work Loja Man but I disagree about useless. I would consider a dagger the ultimate self defense weapon short of a handgun. You did a nice job recreating this piece.
i do not disagree, but would also consider a hawk. Patton said nothing has ever been successfully defended. Attack. Attack. Attack.

Some folks may think a handmade knife, “big deal”. It is one thing to turn out a good solid knife and another to accurately duplicate a one off original. The price is reasonable for the work and care put into this one of a kind piece.
If these were being mass produced in India this price would be too high. This is a case where you get what you pay for and the price is indeed fair. I hope someone sees the value and picks up this nice piece.

Some folks may think a handmade knife, “big deal”. It is one thing to turn out a good solid knife and another to accurately duplicate a one off original. The price is reasonable for the work and care put into this one of a kind piece.
If these were being mass produced in India this price would be too high. This is a case where you get what you pay for and the price is indeed fair. I hope someone sees the value and picks up this nice piece.
Thanks Boberator!! When I took on making this particular knife, I knew it was one that would more than likely be a little slow to move. Something compelled me to take it on. If it sits on my display table then it sits. My hope is to see it go to someone who not only appreciates the quality of work but the fact that is a replica of an original as best as I can make it.

What type of wood was used for the handle of the reproduction?
Hey William,
I used Applewood. The description of the knife at the bank said that it had a Fruitwood handle. Apple and pear were common handle materials for many hand tools of that time.

Hey William,
I used Applewood. The description of the knife at the bank said that it had a Fruitwood handle. Apple and pear were common handle materials for many hand tools of that time.
I see apple and pear offered as stock blanks from time to time. The pear wood made for a quite beautiful gun stock even without the deep curl that maple is prized for.

I have edited my original post. Included is a photo with my name and date.
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back