• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.354 Balls alternative

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Virginian

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm awaiting delivery of a Pedersoli Frontier, .36 Percussion. The Pedersoli Manual states a .354 ball with a .010 Patch. I'm experienced in BP Revolvers, just learning the Musket Discipline. Can't seem to find any .354 Balls.... Is there any Buckshot sizes that would match? Or does anyone have any sources here in the US. My Web searches have been turning up foreign sources for the Pedersoli .354's.

Thanks in advance.... Newbie

Welcome to the forum. :)

Usually, a patched ball will be .005 to .010 smaller than the bore of the gun. This makes room for the cloth patch the ball is placed on before it is rammed into the bore.

That makes a .350 diameter ball the one most commonly used in a .36 here in the USA.

The .354 diameter is almost exactly 9mm and with the Pedersoli made in Italy that would be the size they would naturally suggest.

.350 diameter lead balls are available from several places here in the US.

Track of the Wolf comes to mind so here is a link to their site and to the balls they offer.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/1

Track of the Wolf or, TOW as we often call it here has gobs of muzzleloading things you might want to check out when you visit that site.

Included some things you might want to look at is a brass cleaning jag to screw onto your ramrod so you can clean the barrel after you've shot it.

As for buckshot, my information says a 00 Buck is .340 diameter which would need a really thick cloth patch to seal the bore.

The 000 Buck is .360 diameter which doesn't leave any room for the cloth patch.

Also, as you may know, soft lead is the key to very accurate shooting in a muzzleloader shooting a patched ball.
Most, if not all buckshot is hardened lead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim,
That's the Direction I was heading, but not having long gun experience thought it prudent to ask around. I am aware of and do Business with TOW and The Possibles Shop with my Revolver stuff.

Look forward to learning here.

Thanks,
John

I have, for years, used Hornady 000 buckshot with a .015 patch lubed with Bore Butter in my .36 cal. rifle. The 000 buckshot is cheaper than buying ready cast balls and it works just fine in a .36 cal. rifle. You may have to fiddle with the patch thickness and powder charge to get a load that your rifle likes.

Back