• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 or another .40...???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenngun said:
Gene L said:
William Clark had a .36 caliber squirrel rifle on the Lewis and Clark expedition. Always a good choice, IMO.
Did he have a .36 cal or a 36 bore?
Clark said his small rifle shot balls that were "100 to the pound". That would make it a .36 caliber rifle.

Here's a interesting link about that rifle and shooting it.

http://www.lewis-clark.org/article/2355

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown bear there is a night and day difference between rabbit and squirrel hide.

Don Steele I have a Lancaster style rifle that Chuck Edwards built for me not too long ago it's done in the style of Henry Albright out of the new Patrick hornberger book it's a very close copy of that rifle if you want me to send you pictures of it I will just send me your email address and if you want to post it here I have no problem with that it is a very nice copy of his work. I'm sure with the right components it could be made into a 32 or a 40 with no problems this one is a 54 and it's awful slender and sleek

tenngun said:
Gene L said:
William Clark had a .36 caliber squirrel rifle on the Lewis and Clark expedition. Always a good choice, IMO.
Did he have a .36 cal or a 36 bore?

It was 36 caliber. At one place in the journals it was stated thed it was sized for 100 balls to the pound. That comes out to about a 0.360" diameter ball.

Why have two of anything....go for a .32 or a .62...you've got the middle covered! :wink:

Don Steele said:
a .32 and another .40. The reason for the .40 is obvious..I am already fully "set-up" for it. All the accoutremounts and do-dads. If I get a .32, I'm going to have to go shopping for all that stuff. I shoot targets, almost exclusively from the 25 and 50 yd lines.

Why another 40??? So what if you need more stuff for a 32 that is the cheap part! The rifle cost is way more why cheap out.

Try the 32 you may like it better than a copy of what caliber you now have.

Well,
I will be in Friendship next week. I have been advised that there's a 40 cal lefthand flintlock going to be there that I might oughta take a look at.
I'm holding fire until then.
I do know that whatever my next rifle is, it's not going to be over .45 caliber.

Latest posts

Back