• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3 Muzzleloaders from local estate auctions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goaly

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello all,

I found this website while searching for information on 3 muzzleloaders that I recently picked up at local estate auctions.

First, let me thank everyone for their knowledge in here. I have learned an incredible amount in the short time that I have been reading these forums.

Now, permit a little bragging, and a question or two. From top to bottom, and in the order I bought them”¦

a.JPG

First an 1864 Springfield musket that I purchased at a Civil War re-enactors estate auction. I was told it was built out of original and reproduction parts by Mike Yeck of Dundee Michigan. It shoots very nice with about a 4 inch group at 50 yards. It came with a bayonet and sling.

Second, a Hatfield .50 cal flintlock that I purchased at a farm auction recently. By far the prettiest gun I have and its a real tight shooter.

Finally, a no name .45 caliber rifle. I purchased this at a local auction from an elderly gentleman who was selling his farm home. It is actually pretty crude, and appears to have been quickly done. Perhaps an old ”˜Kit gun’? He told me it was hand built by his uncle some time ago. He really didn’t provide too much information other than to say that he believed it had a Douglas barrel. (How would I know if the barrel is a Douglas? I had it off the stock and cannot find any markings anywhere on the barrel. Not even a caliber, or “Black powder only “ stamp.) The rifle did shoot a 2-inch group, although 7 inches low at 50 yards.
It will probably end up as trading stock.

The last gun did come with a sharp looking wood display board, and a box of extras, including a flint lock and touchhole liner. It was one of the reasons I bought the rifle. I knew the board would look good behind my Hatfield.

b.JPG

Thanks again for all of the information!

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice selection of rifles for sure!Ya did good. :thumbsup:

Thank you Padraic, I am real happy with the deals I was able to get at the auctions. The Hatfield was the most expensive at $350.

I wish the photos showed more detail. I'm jumping back into shooting with both feet, casting my own minnie balls for the Springfield and buying some bees wax to make my own lube. Thanks again to everyone for sharing all of the knowledge that these forums make available.

I'm still searching for information on the no-name .45 caliber... I would think that even kit guns would have some type of markings on the barrel. I may carry it around at the gunshows for trading stock, or just keep it for a foul weather deer rifle.

Back