• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2Fa?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeshot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I currently use 6 ounces of GOEX Cannon grade powder in my 3 pounder. I've known for a long time that I could use 2Fa, but I had NO idea how much cheaper it is! Should I measure out volumetrically 6 ounces as a 1 to 1 replacement for Cannon grade?

R/s,
Charlie

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
~ George Mason, during Virginia's ratification convention, 1788

I'm not sure if the same is true but they say that if you change from ffg to fffg you should drop your charge by 15% don't know if this holds true for the larger grain powders. (smaller granuals=quicker ignition=higher pressure)

You're absolutely correct, but in this case, 4Fa blasting powder is the same granule size as 1Fg sporting powder. 2Fa roughly equals Cannon and 1Fa is even larger.

Link

I know that the added graphite coating in sporting powdwer slows down the burn rate, but I just learned from John Mills, Curator of Princeton Battlefield Park and commander of Mott's Artillery, the difference is insignificant in a 3-pdr in the ranges of charges that we fire. According to John, Cannon and 2Fa can be used one for one interchangably. Nice to know since I can get 25 pounds of 2Fa for $182 and Cannon is running $250! :grin:

R/s,
Charlie

Back