• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2f prime in the pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure is impressive bud . You did such a great job on your new N.W. Trade gun ... Did Jimmy shoot it any after the inverted firing test ? What did he think of your new Fuke ? I can't believe the tight shot pattern you got out of such a short barrel ! My 40" barreled Fuke better not embarrass me ! LOL

Sure is impressive bud . You did such a great job on your new N.W. Trade gun ... Did Jimmy shoot it any after the inverted firing test ? What did he think of your new Fuke ? I can't believe the tight shot pattern you got out of such a short barrel ! My 40" barreled Fuke better not embarrass me ! LOL
Ole Jimmy thought it was alright but he wasn’t sure what to expect when he pulled the trigger on that blank load.No his shoulders are not good can’t lift a gun up to shoulder any more he’s all crippled up I feel for the guy .yea I hope Ian H reads my post and try’s 2f and 1oz shot in his ,I shot one load with just powder wasp nest shot and then another wad of wasp nest and it was nothing to sneeze at .

Ole Jimmy thought it was alright but he wasn’t sure what to expect when he pulled the trigger on that blank load.No his shoulders are not good can’t lift a gun up to shoulder any more he’s all crippled up I feel for the guy .yea I hope Ian H reads my post and try’s 2f and 1oz shot in his ,I shot one load with just powder wasp nest shot and then another wad of wasp nest and it was nothing to sneeze at .
D@mn , poor Jimmy . Well , ship ....I'm glad he can say he's shot a NW trade gun now , and upside down , but sure sucks his health is so bad , poor guy . Holler at Ian and give him a little nudge ....

Mine shoots patched .562 round balls pretty well, don't sell it short.
Mark says the same about Rosie I’ll maybe have to try get some .562 rbs and give a try .I’ve just shot shot out of mine and am very pleased with it.And like Rob says I’m gonna like packing it around because of the weight .

D@mn , poor Jimmy . Well , ship ....I'm glad he can say he's shot a NW trade gun now , and upside down , but sure sucks his health is so bad , poor guy . Holler at Ian and give him a little nudge ....
Yea you know when it comes down to it you could have all the money in the world but if you don’t have good health all that money isnt gonna do you any good.

Yea you know when it comes down to it you could have all the money in the world but if you don’t have good health all that money isnt gonna do you any good.
Yer right bud . Ive been poor my whole life and had health problems too .I never wished for riches but pray for good health every night .

Mark says the same about Rosie I’ll maybe have to try get some .562 rbs and give a try .I’ve just shot shot out of mine and am very pleased with it.And like Rob says I’m gonna like packing it around because of the weight .
Yeah , try a pat he'd round ball outta her . I dont think I ever have outta them barrels . That ll be very interesting . I still got four more of them barrels in the shop .....

Yep. The 'difference' in ignition time between 2,3, or 4 F is not detectable by the normal human sensory system!
Oh yeah . And when I advocate the practice of priming with the same powder as your main charge its just because of a couple reasons . Carrying a different powder and horn is not necessary , less stuff to carry the better and if the lock and T.H. are good then you aren't going to get slow ignition , even upside down , which is the whole point of the upside down shot . I know SO many guns and rifles that folks shoot on a regular basis that do not have fast or reliable ignition let alone they could never fire upside down , they just believe that that is the nature of a flintlock , which is not true . I'll never argue with a bench rest shooter about the merits of their choice of priming , those fellows have it figured out good , but for the vast majority of us shooters the ignition , as in the VDO is very good, very fast , and will serve us just fine . I don't want the novice to think you HAVE you use 4 F for priming, I thought so at the beginning , or that you have to load your pan a certain way for fast or reliable ignition . Dump some powder in the pan , if its too much that the frizzen won't close knock some out , close the frizzen , put at full cock , aim and fire . Thats it ! No voodoo involved ! If it is not firing fast and reliably then something is wrong and needs to be fixed. Simple ...

Last edited:
Walt, my barrel had a real tight spot right at the wedding band I turned on it, had to buy an adjustable reamer and take it out so RBs would shoot better without the bobble through the choke point. Yours may not have the tight spot. Anyway, I don't have pictures of the targets but after I got the front sight filed down enough and a load worked out, I'm getting small, one-hole groups at 25 yards (like about 1.5 ball diameters) and at 50 yards I got it down to around 5" for ten shots, maybe a flyer makes it 6-7", but short sight radius and no rear sight makes it tough to aim small. I was getting 3' patterns at 50 yards until I quit using any kind of slick lube and went with straight spit patches, then it all came together. I use 50 grains of 3Fg for the PRB and for 7/8 ounce of shot, any more shot or powder with 3F I think is too much pressure for how thin the barrel is at the front of the octagonal taper, barrel is only .100" thick at the thinnest part of the octagon. I'm going to switch to 2Fg with shot loads because it reduces the pressure about 2-3,000 psi and try 60 grains under 7/8 ounce. 1 ounce loads really start to reach the point of diminishing returns, you have too much pressure by the time you get the load up to a good speed and it's kind of a wall you hit with performance.

The general rule for developing shot loads is this:
  1. Pick the shot size for the game,
  2. Pick the payload weight that gives a dense enough pattern at the intended range,
  3. Use enough powder to get 1200 fps at the muzzle.
With cylinder bores you gotta play with all three and a lot of fiddling with wads and such to get a good pattern in the first place, but when you're done you need to end up with the correct shot size, pattern density, and velocity for the intended game/target and range.

Walt, my barrel had a real tight spot right at the wedding band I turned on it, had to buy an adjustable reamer and take it out so RBs would shoot better without the bobble through the choke point. Yours may not have the tight spot. Anyway, I don't have pictures of the targets but after I got the front sight filed down enough and a load worked out, I'm getting small, one-hole groups at 25 yards (like about 1.5 ball diameters) and at 50 yards I got it down to around 5" for ten shots, maybe a flyer makes it 6-7", but short sight radius and no rear sight makes it tough to aim small. I was getting 3' patterns at 50 yards until I quit using any kind of slick lube and went with straight spit patches, then it all came together. I use 50 grains of 3Fg for the PRB and for 7/8 ounce of shot, any more shot or powder with 3F I think is too much pressure for how thin the barrel is at the front of the octagonal taper, barrel is only .100" thick at the thinnest part of the octagon. I'm going to switch to 2Fg with shot loads because it reduces the pressure about 2-3,000 psi and try 60 grains under 7/8 ounce. 1 ounce loads really start to reach the point of diminishing returns, you have too much pressure by the time you get the load up to a good speed and it's kind of a wall you hit with performance.

The general rule for developing shot loads is this:
  1. Pick the shot size for the game,
  2. Pick the payload weight that gives a dense enough pattern at the intended range,
  3. Use enough powder to get 1200 fps at the muzzle.
With cylinder bores you gotta play with all three and a lot of fiddling with wads and such to get a good pattern in the first place, but when you're done you need to end up with the correct shot size, pattern density, and velocity for the intended game/target and range.
Ian I have two tight spots about the same as yours but I’m getting really good patterns with 45 grins of 2f cornmeal then paper shot cup with 7/8 to 1oz of # 7 1/2 or#6 and wasp nest on top .I also tried 45grns of2f then wasp nest then shot topped with wasp nest with good results.I tried 3f and it blew things open on me so I switched to 2f and found that my 28guage like the same load so that’s what I’m gonna stick with .would like to see a picture of your reamer and how you used it ro smooth out the high spot .Have a look at these.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpeg
    IMG_0245.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back