• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2F or 3F suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got alot of 3 f but wandering if I should get some 2f for my fusil 20 ga. Do you have better luck or patterns with one of these over the other? Thanks

I've used both. Both have been fine. Generally I end up using a little less 3f than 2f for the same results, also, with shot loads 3f seems to create less fouling. Some say the larger granulation produces better patterns with shot, maybe, probably true if using equal amounts. I do notice a little more felt recoil with 3f if used in equal amount as 2f.

with shot loads 3f seems to create less fouling.

Definitely. And use about 10% less to get there. If I dump equal 2.5 to 3-dram volumes of real black powder, yellow corn meal, and birdshot down the bore and ram a piece of wet, folded newspaper down on top it seems to pattern well no matter 2f or 3f in a couple of different unchoked .62s. Once I tried the cornmeal, I gave up completely on fussing with wad stacks and cards. Swab it out every 10-15 shots so the "chamber" doesn't get too caked up with fouling since you aren't pushing a wad down that far or getting any moisture/lube down past the load column and keep shooting. I even build paper cartridges this way, but do glue a punched corrugated cardboard in the middle of the cartridge just to separate powder and buffer/shot so I can skip the powder horn/measure in the field.

Crow, as Brikennock stated…both will work and he knows!!! if you enjoy make’n smoke get some 2F and work up loads for both and see what the gun likes best. I’m no help with 3F as i have only used 2F in my .62 Fowler.

2F vs 3F,, interesting comments. Me 2F in BPCRs and in-lines, 2F or 3F in muzzleloaders. These days it depends what I can find, with every new purchase I really need to go back and recalibrate my load. Thinking on changing from volumetric measuring to weight scale. Always try to primer from a small brass flask, never from the measured main charge in a film canister. More accurate. Was primarily a Goex guy, but with today's powder supplies using Schuetzen as well. Might try some Swiss, too many variables, effects accuracy. At 70 grains per round, that is only 100 round per pound, how often and how much powder do you buy? End up with different lots. Measure with a micrometer and cut it with an axe.

I shoot both fffg & ffg and have shot fg on occasions.
However I most use ffg in my smoothbore 16 gauge.

@Crow#21957, the statement was 70 grains per round and 100 shots per pound.

Whether the powder is 2Fg Black Powder, 3Fg Black powder, Pyrodex (R or P), or Triple7, the weight is 7000 grains per pound. Due to densities, you will get about 100 of the 70 grain weight measures of Black Powder or 115 of the 70 grain volume measures of the substitute powders for about the same performance.

Now, @Paul-in-PA seems to be using real Black powder, so weighing the charge will be a slightly more precise method than using a volumetric measure to dole out a consistent charge. There's enough variance in the powder composition that weight or volume makes little difference in performance for most of us. I use about 10% less 3Fg than 2Fg to keep performance about the same. I'd use about 5 to 10% less Swiss powder than Schuetzen or GOEX as the Swiss powder is more energetic. As Paul has observed, changes in powder means the new load needs to be developed for the new powder.

I would try them both with the same shot load to see what your smoothbore prefers. I don't necessarily think it should be a huge difference but I could be wrong. I prefer 2F in my .73 Fowler and 3F in my .50 rifled barrels. They all seem to prefer that specific granulation but I have also switched them around without any issues.

Back