• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

28 ga. for Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find I get my best patterns in my 28 gauge using a paper shot cartridge made by rolling three thickness of newspaper around a 1/2 inch dowel rod, Tieing the end off with kite string, filling with 7/8 ounce shot, folding over an tieing again. I then loard 55 grain FF, two 1/8 inch leather wads ( 1/4 inch felt will work ). Then the shot cartride. Heavier paper or more thickness gives a "slug" effect, less than three thickness doesn't hold up. :idunno:

I use a somewhat heavy load in my .54 smoothbore, being 1.5oz of #6 shot over 70grs of FFFg BP, but mine is a GM 15/16" straight octagon barrel so good steel and lots of it to hold those pressures for turkey hunting. Now due to the strenght of this gun, that load may not be safe with a gun that isn't built like a tank like mine is, so please be careful and consider all possibilities instead of just copying my load as it may not be safe in your gun. What gun and load are you using currently, if I may ask?

i didn't know 28ga was legal in MO for turkey. like you may want to consider some of the ITX shot. there have been reports on the forum that it tends to shoot tighter than lead.

If it is legal in your state go for it. I've found Ohio Ramrods method very effective for increasing pattern density in all my SB.Depending on the barrel thickness etc a good heavy load could be worked up.I use 1 7/8 ounce shot and 90gr Ffg Goex in my 20gauge,1 1/4 ounce shot and 70gr Ffg Goex in my TC Renegade 56 cal smoothy.Good luck and make smoke :thumbsup:

Pappy,
Sounds like the same barrel I have. Mine is a GM .54 smoothbore 32" flinter mounted on a GPR stock. Gotta love these guns, even if they drive you a little batty til you find the right load.

If it helps, my load is 70grs FFFg BP, then 2 cereal box cardboard cards punched out with a punch Ohio Ramrod made for me, then 6" of jute twine frayed into a birdsnest, then another card, then 1.5oz (110grs) #6 shot, and another card as OS card. I trust my patterns out to 30yds on most days, and 35yds on a good day, but figure that since Murphy has it out for me, I will limit my shots to 25-30yds if I ever manage to get that close to a turkey.

Latest posts

Back