• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.22 shorts used as caps revisited.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After further trial and error I found out if take the case and slip it over a taper punch you can squeeze the case where it fits snug on the nipple. Drop a few grains of BP into the case and press onto the nipple. The few grains that are in there will hover over the nipple opening with less being blown down the sides. I thought of this because of the tube lock video cap-n-ball put out on that tube lock. Along the same lines but it does work. Mind you my test rat was A Pedrosoli Leige Pistol. The distance is short in the Channel. So things may vary depending on what you want to try this on. Aside from the case not firing on the first try sometimes it does produce enough heat to ignite a small squib charge. Thanks for reading.

Keep experimenting ,shows you are thinking.I did something like that myself. The 22 short cases and bb cap cases are harder to get than real percussion caps. Punching out the cups from cans is easy and cheap. If possible for you that is the way forward.

did anybody just save their spent percussion caps and clean those a little and fill them with the blend material. they would fit the nipple better than the punched-out cans.

The 22 short cases and bb cap cases are harder to get than real percussion caps.
Too true.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on here, but I'm kind of surprised that no one is going down the path of Ramset "powder loads" or something similar. Oh, dear, did I say that out loud? But count me out on that experimentation. 🙄

bore butter Do you get many intact cups after firing? I don't think I get hardly 1 in 20 in good enough shape to refill . My cap maker cups fit on whatever nipple I want to use. From 11 on rifles to 10 on the oem revolver nipples. The cups have folded sides and expand to fit whatever nipple you put them on. A little push is all it takes. If someone wants to use match heads ,give it a try firing actual loads. That ship has sailed for me.

I can’t find 22 shorts, though I haven’t looked lately. My grandfather’s first 22 unmentionable does best with shorts. Be nice to have a few around.

small rifle & pistol primers work held on top the nipple with a piece of aquarium hose but they are not easy to find either been using them on my cva ky pistol to save caps

Fella,s went to the range today and confirmed. They work just like a regular cap. Instant Bang. Some light hitting a couple of times but they did indeed work. I know for some that even 22 shorts can be expensive. $11.00 for a hundred box here. remember I pursued this because of the insatiable thirst in the quest to keep going even in the worst of times....finding a different avenue on this sometimes. But, I like to think that what we are all about here...Thanks for reading. SM

Do plastic caps for toy cap guns work? I bought some several months ago but never got around to experimenting yet. Made in Germany, I think?

2D27D90A-B1D5-49A9-B5D6-38FC12383DDF.jpeg

Got rocks?
They make a great replacement for those tiny, hard too handle caps….👍

Do plastic caps for toy cap guns work? I bought some several months ago but never got around to experimenting yet. Made in Germany, I think?
I have tried them
they are rather small for a percussion nipple, so you have to push them on all the way and be sure the cap sits against the anvil part securely
If you add a pinch of powder to the nipple before you place the cap, you can get about 90% ignition, with out the pinch of powder you only get about 40-50% ignition

So it will work if you have nothing else, but you have to do it right.

I know that they will snap in a muzzleloader. I have experimented with them. I have never actually tried to shoot with them.

Latest posts

Back