• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.22 shorts used as caps revisited.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do plastic caps for toy cap guns work? I bought some several months ago but never got around to experimenting yet. Made in Germany, I think?

Eutycus, Bought some and tried on rifles and pistols they worked just fine. Haven't tried with a loaded weapon. The
butt chewing I got from the SgtMaj at 1:00 AM has convinced me to wait for warmer weather for the real test. I did
notice that the plastic would wedge at times in the hammer , but a simple pass of a finger would brush it away'
gunny

I keep reading about making your own caps. Question is where do you get the equipment and the chemicals to make them, as i am low on caps and want to try and make mine own, as they are hard to find right now.

I keep reading about making your own caps. Question is where do you get the equipment and the chemicals to make them, as i am low on caps and want to try and make mine own, as they are hard to find right now.

Steam, I got mine from Sharpshooter 22 ,cost $49.95 and the primmer mix cost$19.95. I am very satisfied with mine
but there is a learning curve. Search the forum for Sharpshooter 22 and you'll find all the information ,in's and out's.
Much better than I can explain.
gunny

Keep experimenting ,shows you are thinking.I did something like that myself. The 22 short cases and bb cap cases are harder to get than real percussion caps. Punching out the cups from cans is easy and cheap. If possible for you that is the way forward.
My caps normally split the sides in 2 or more places.

Did you try just using a match head in a spent case? When I was a kid we used to put match heads in .22 cases and smack them with a hammer for a bang. One friend still has a .22 case head in his calf 😅
Match heads work right on the nipple. Secure it with a piece of foil.

bore butter Do you get many intact cups after firing? I don't think I get hardly 1 in 20 in good enough shape to refill . My cap maker cups fit on whatever nipple I want to use. From 11 on rifles to 10 on the oem revolver nipples. The cups have folded sides and expand to fit whatever nipple you put them on. A little push is all it takes. If someone wants to use match heads ,give it a try firing actual loads. That ship has sailed for me.
ya know, all the ones i've pulled off the nipples after firing looked ok but i wasn't examining them all that close. i'll pay more attention the next time i hit the range.
i've only used cci and remmington caps all these years.

Back