• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024 cap update, bad and the bad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You forgot "hoarders," like the folks who bought many thousands of caps, "enough caps to outlast me," or "several lifetimes worth," etc.

Demand drives prices, high demand creates shortages, hoarding makes shortages worse, shortages make price gouging possible.

You're right of course, there is no shortage for those who have enough caps to "wear out my entire percussion collection and then some."

I the option of making ones own caps is the way forward, finding the best cap making kit is my challenge any advice/guidance is welcome.

I never see caps at my local Walmart, but it is the smallest, poorest stocked "supercenter" I have ever had the misfortune to enter.
I did grab a tin of 250 RWS No. 11s (1075s) a while back during a hazmat-free sale at Natchez? Powder Valley? Can't recall.
This business of reseller "snipers" is not new. It turned out the owner of a small, remote gunshop that I favored in Cloudcroft, New Mexico, was one of this number. He got to know guys on the local Walmart loading dock who would share when a truck bearing .22 LR ammunition was expected. He would be there and buy it all if he could, then mark it up for sale in his shop to help keep it afloat amid the shortages. I didn't like it but I very certainly saw his point.

Why so few Walmarts get caps?
I think there are store policies that vary by demographics. My nearest wal mart still sells guns but no ml stuff. Not ml guns or supplies. Other stores that are in a more rural environment seem to have more stuff. Same applies to archery stuff. Partly stocking what sells locally and partly what they perceive to be the local political climate. That's just my take on it.
I the option of making ones own caps is the way forward, finding the best cap making kit is my challenge any advice/guidance is welcome.
The 22 sharpshooter kit works great.

I have been checking the four Walmart stores in my county, all super stores , no caps. Don’t stock them. They do have 22lr.

It’s easy to feel that what we do is widespread when you spend time here on the forum, but that’s not the reality. I love to see younger folks embracing the hobby because 10-15 years from now there will be a lot fewer active shooters.
Agree, I go to a public range. I am the only BP shooter there. Everyone else is going thru 9mm boxes in half hour and gone.
I spend 3-4 hours going through 100 rounds. Slower pace.
Of the hundred or so pistoleros, again I am the only BP there. Not surprised that manufacturers don’t devote much time to our needs.

Agree, I go to a public range. I am the only BP shooter there. Everyone else is going thru 9mm boxes in half hour and gone.
I spend 3-4 hours going through 100 rounds. Slower pace.
Of the hundred or so pistoleros, again I am the only BP there. Not surprised that manufacturers don’t devote much time to our needs.
Yep, we are a very small niche.

Thanks @kyron4 for starting the thread. I'm interested in what happens to US cap production under Remington and CCI's new ownership, and found this in a Vista press release from 10/16/2023. I'm sure some have seen this stuff but for those who haven't:
"ANOKA, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Vista Outdoor Inc. (NYSE: VSTO) (“Vista Outdoor”), the parent company of 41 renowned brands that design, manufacture and market sporting and outdoor products to consumers around the globe, today announced a definitive agreement to sell its Sporting Products business to Czechoslovak Group a.s. (“CSG”)"
"CSG is a leading industrial technology holding company, operating within five strategic business segments, including defense, aerospace, ammunition, mobility and business. CSG is 100% owned and led by Michal Strnad, who has transformed it into a leading Czech industrial group with a strong international footprint. CSG employs more than 10,000 people worldwide and it owns and manages a diverse portfolio of industrial and trade companies across the defense and civil sectors."
Stop yawning, there's more:
"To effect the transaction, Vista Outdoor will separate its Outdoor Products business from its Sporting Products business, and CSG will merge one of its subsidiaries with Vista Outdoor (holding only the Sporting Products business)..."
From American Rifleman:
"Upon closing, Vanderbrink will remain CEO of the Sporting Products business and the U.S. headquarters will remain in Anoka, Minn. In connection with the transaction, the company’s approximately 4,000 employees who represent four factories and the consumer brands CCI, Federal, HEVI-Shot, Remington and Speer will continue their heritage of community and conservation support through local and national organizations."
Lost me there...
The CSG website does not presently include Remington or CCI in their ammo division. They do own Fiocchi, a big producer of primers. And just bought Perazzi. Their site states "CSG's main industries are defense and security, automotive, aerospace and rail."
No mention of percussion caps. I think I'll call both Remington and CCI on the telephone to see how things are going.

Saw some in a local sports shop last week when I was looking for a new flask. They may have had a dozen times of CCI's for 13 something a tin. I was kind of shocked to see them. Didn't really have to have any, but I might stop in and grab a couple next time I'm in that area. Make hat while the sun's shining so to speak.

Well, even without inflation and constant attacks on the 2nd Amendment, another factor with supply problems is that we are but a niche in the ammo and shooting world. It’s easy to feel that what we do is widespread when you spend time here on the forum, but that’s not the reality. I love to see younger folks embracing the hobby because 10-15 years from now there will be a lot fewer active shooters.
I agree to a point. In my opinion the niche was smaller 40 years ago but supplies were much easier to find. From a business standpoint, if your market is growing then your supply should too.

I'm not having trouble finding anything I need. Reloading supplies are available
For the most part but prices are incredibly high. Makes me glad I've been a hoarder all my l8fe.
Reloading supplies, especially powder, are scarce in n my neck of the woods. But thankfully, like you, I over bought in the 80’s & 90’s and then again in 2010-2012. I’ve just started loading some centerfire again after a long hiatus and I have everything I need. But I’d sure hate to be someone trying to get started at this time unless they have a fat wallet.

We are not being lead by "fools and quizlings", but by a well organized amd powerful conglomerate, who are executing their plans to perfection. We will soon be looking back to the Good Old Days of early 2024, when our biggest problem was finding caps and other bawbles for our hobbies. Not scared, I've read the end of the Book, and I know in whom I have believed. Might be time for some folks though to take an assessment of their "retirement plans". Meanwhile, I'll just keep doing what I do until the horse throws me off. Busted off some caps this afternoon on a glorious 60° day in NW Missouri. Treasure these times.

Why so few Walmarts get caps?
I asked a Walmart guy that works in the sporting good section of my local Walmart that question. He’s an older guy that I know is a hunter. Not some kid…
He said it’s Walmarts policy not to sell certain explosives like caps within a certain amount of miles from a major city. He was unsure if the miles but to put it in perspective… this store is in Canton, Ga. The city would be Atlanta. If I drove on a good day it would take about 45 minutes to get to Atlanta on the interstate.
That Walmart never has them. But another Walmart that’s about another 40 minutes away does have them once a year.
That’s strictly Walmarts policy.

Anything acceptable, if its called "business".
I never see caps at my local Walmart, but it is the smallest, poorest stocked "supercenter" I have ever had the misfortune to enter.
I did grab a tin of 250 RWS No. 11s (1075s) a while back during a hazmat-free sale at Natchez? Powder Valley? Can't recall.
This business of reseller "snipers" is not new. It turned out the owner of a small, remote gunshop that I favored in Cloudcroft, New Mexico, was one of this number. He got to know guys on the local Walmart loading dock who would share when a truck bearing .22 LR ammunition was expected. He would be there and buy it all if he could, then mark it up for sale in his shop to help keep it afloat amid the shortages. I didn't like it but I very certainly saw his point.

I think there are store policies that vary by demographics. My nearest wal mart still sells guns but no ml stuff. Not ml guns or supplies. Other stores that are in a more rural environment seem to have more stuff. Same applies to archery stuff. Partly stocking what sells locally and partly what they perceive to be the local political climate. That's just my take on it.

The 22 sharpshooter kit works great.

Noted, thank you sir.

Latest posts

Back