• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it would have been one He!! of a site to see. I could just imagine all of being there, shootin, trappin fools by God.

Living has it pros and cons for sure. As far hunting, when it gets around 10 or 11 o'clock I'll sometimes find a nice oak hammock with some clear ground and a nice breeze and chill out, I know it was way different from hunting in Illinois, had to get it figured out, and adjust.

Up until about 4th grade we usually stated back after labor day, after that last week or so of August.

Yes, I thought I was suffer from a little Mind Slippage, as far September 1st or August 1st...
We usually started back around mid August. So I had a couple of weeks to be feral before I had to start wearing shoes and combing my hair again. Seems like forever ago. Different times for sure. Where we lived then was semi rural. Nobody blinked an eye seeing kids walking down the road with a cased long gun. Now and days swat team would probably show up and you'd be put on a no fly list.

I just coned the barrel of my .32 Crockett. Those tiny balls and and my big fingers make loading, especially with gloves on was pretty impossible. The balls start easy now with thumb pressure, and loading is much easier. Love this gun.
Unfortunately where I live in Vermont we only have a fall season, opens September first. But we do have a ā€œred squirrelā€ season that runs year round. Those little buggers chew up the sap lines that the maple syrup makers put out, so getting permission is pretty easy.
If you know someone who needs to use it, its ok. let me know how it shoots when you shoot.

We usually started back around mid August. So I had a couple of weeks to be feral before I had to start wearing shoes and combing my hair again. Seems like forever ago. Different times for sure. Where we lived then was semi rural. Nobody blinked an eye seeing kids walking down the road with a cased long gun. Now and days swat team would probably show up and you'd be put on a no fly list.
You are correct about a different time.
I would grab my gun after school on Friday and walk or ride my bike, stop at a Texaco gas station buy a 100 CCI .22 LR, and or some Federal 2 3/4" .410 #6 and head over to the Clewell Clan. The 4 of us would get early Saturday and head out. Sometimes the Fuzz ( I say that with all do respect for LEOs) would stop us make we had our Firearms Owners Identification Card, and the guns were not loaded. No problem that we were feral kids at the ages 11 to 14.
It was great...
Down here they pretty cool about things as long as you don't act like a Wise A$$
If your 16 going to and fro hunting or going to shooting competitions or target shooting you're good to go.

Absence of squirrels in neighborhood during the day very obvious. But, in my driveway I'm still seeing sign they're eating - in fact LOTS of sign all over the regular areas they sit and munch. They eat the head and the abdomen of the bug, and discard the wings. Wings laying all over the place (along with a minor amount of pecan hull fragments, so they're still digging them up, too) :

IMG_20240523_121734387.jpg

We've had bright clear nights recently; "waning gibbous" tonight. Conclusion: they're feeding in the cool of the night under the moonlight, feasting gluttonously on these crazy cicadas. Then lazily snoozing, digesting, and burping, most of the day in this 90F heat.

Last edited:
You use that on your clothes, not on your skin. Spray your hunting clothes and let it dry before wearing. Works great when you use it correctly.

And friends, he ain't kidding. Once dry it will last through at least 3 washings or more. DEET can be used safely on exposed skin, but NOT liquid permethrin.

Yes that is correct. There are a good a

Brother, I did not put it on my skin.
Somehow or another it was on/in collar of the shirt that was rubbing against my neck. It was very warm and I was sweating.
I do know better tthan to do that but thank you for looking out.

The problem may simply be skin irritation resulting from the abrading of the skin caused by the collar scraping the same place for hours.

You are correct about a different time.
I would grab my gun after school on Friday and walk or ride my bike, stop at a Texaco gas station buy a 100 CCI .22 LR, and or some Federal 2 3/4" .410 #6 and head over to the Clewell Clan. The 4 of us would get early Saturday and head out. Sometimes the Fuzz ( I say that with all do respect for LEOs) would stop us make we had our Firearms Owners Identification Card, and the guns were not loaded. No problem that we were feral kids at the ages 11 to 14.
It was great...
Down here they pretty cool about things as long as you don't act like a Wise A$$
If your 16 going to and fro hunting or going to shooting competitions or target shooting you're good to go.
I had a Sheriff's deputy give me a ride home once (he knew the ol man). The look on my poor mother's face when she saw that Ford LTD pull up to the house with me in the back. Funny $h!t right there.šŸ¤£

The problem may simply be skin irritation resulting from the abrading of the skin caused by the collar scraping the same place for hours.
That's what happened, and I said the heck with it. After read all the in put on this thread I am going to try it.
The ticks have been bad the last 2 years, plus I've meet and or read about a lot more folks getting some form of tick born illnesses. One of the guys at work can only eat fish and poultry as far as meat, anything that suckles will make him very sick. He ate a hamburger for lunch and hit the payment face first. In hospital for a week before they figured it out.

Take Care Stay Safe

Kicked the season off with 4 squirrels. 2 off of the ground and 2 out of trees. Difficult morning to hunt.
Ed, I've read all your posts since your early spring squirrel season started.You really give it your all. Regardless of your knee or the weather, you're out there. You're not just hunting your favorite quarry, you're studying the the land, the plants, the other Critters in your territory.
You would have one of those Great Longhunters, who we only read and dream about. You would have blazed your own trail, made your path not like most folks and follow the well beaten paths.
We've all learned alot since you stated this thread. It's Squirrel Hunting, mist of the guys at just kinda blow it off. All of get something out of it and it's a He!! Of a lot more than just hunting. After sitting think about all this, this came to my mind.
A qoute from Benjamin Franklin:

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things reading, or do things worth the writing."

I'd say you have done both.

Take Care Stay Safe.

Thank you.

Back