• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's one at the camp that comes to the bird feeder that only has a slight nub. Really looks funny running around on the limbs. I've seen him for a couple of years, assume it's the same one. Probably tangled with a hawk or owl, we have plenty.
We used to have a black squirrel that lived out back. The kids used to get a kick out of seeing it. They took to calling him Blackie Chan. I believe either a hawk or owl got ol Blackie, I run 2 feeders with a mixture of corn, peanut, and sunflower seeds, as well as a couple of Cob corn feeders. I imagine the easy meals made them easy prey.

I've been seeing a grey around the house recently with maybe a 2-3 inch tail. I've seen him 3 times, if I see him a fourth I'm going to start calling him either Stubb's, or Lucky. Lucky in the sense that whatever got most of his tail didn't get the rest of him. Been trying to get a picture bet he's quicker than a Jackrabbit on a date.
There's one at the camp that comes to the bird feeder that only has a slight nub. Really looks funny running around on the limbs. I've seen him for a couple of years, assume it's the same one. Probably tangled with a hawk or owl, we have plenty.
One running around here has all the fur and skin stripped off the tail - looks like a rat. Poor little feller - that must have been (and still must be) painful.
Could have been a hawk, owl or bitten off during a mating chase by another male. Hard to say for sure. I saw a gray squirrel not too long ago cross the road in front of me that only had part of its tail.

The two in the pic below were bitten off during a mating chase I was smack dab in the middle of. They were both freshly bitten off and still bloody/wet looking. During a mating chase when after female in heat, those boys mean business. They are the only two that I know of for sure that were bitten off by another squirrel. No doubt a tail in the face is an easy target for one of the following squirrels that are running in a single file line.

Attachments

• IMG_1837.jpeg
    IMG_1837.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You could argue that a squirrel IS his tail, philosophically.

In an intense chase with a predator I think they use their tail like a bullfighter's cape, and it gets chewed.

Its a pitiful scene to walk up on a wounded immobile squirrel who sees you and knows his time is up, and he covers up his body with his tail in a last act of defense.

Cruiser, most of my squirrels fear me. They don't hate me because I don't give them the old ethnic cleansing routine with a water hose like you do.

You should be afraid, bro. :)
Hah! I ain't sceeered of no squirrel.

I've so far deported 12. Didn't see any for a week after #12 but yesterday two ran by on my fence and one dared to jump into the pear tree. He missed and nearly fell out of the tree. Both were small with scant tails. Probably this year's young. They might be too stupid to recognize the tasty bait. Too bad I don't have a picture of their mother to lure them into the trap. When I caught her I had to be somewhere and in my rush Didn't get her picture.

They are going to love re uniting with family when I take them to The Colony. Heh heh. 😈

Hah! I ain't sceeered of no squirrel.

I've so far deported 12. Didn't see any for a week after #12 but yesterday two ran by on my fence and one dared to jump into the pear tree. He missed and nearly fell out of the tree. Both were small with scant tails. Probably this year's young. They might be too stupid to recognize the tasty bait. Too bad I don't have a picture of their mother to lure them into the trap. When I caught her I had to be somewhere and in my rush Didn't get her picture.

They are going to love re uniting with family when I take them to The Colony. Heh heh. 😈
Ice cream cone Joe needs to take pointers from you on deportation Cruiser.

Here’s my new squirrel hunting mascot, Rocky the Reaper. Just got him sewed on my possibles bag. Hopefully, we shall see how ole Rocky does next weekend. If I miss, it will be Rocky’s fault.😁

Snake bit Tom sent this to me a while back.

Attachments

• IMG_2147.jpeg
    IMG_2147.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's cool. I'm gonna put an elk on mine
I should have put one of those on my backpack when I lived out west. That way whenever I got into one of those long, dry spells I could look at the patch and remember what an elk looked like. It would have been much more convenient than carrying a folded up picture in my pocket.😁

Last edited:
Here’s my new squirrel hunting mascot, Rocky the Reaper. Just got him sewed on my possibles bag. Hopefully, we shall see how ole Rocky does next weekend. If I miss, it will be Rocky’s fault.😁

Snake bit Tom sent this to me a while back.
I thought that patch looked familiar 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_121025211.jpg
    IMG_20240227_121025211.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
So, the plan of action for the day is to go back to the thicket from hell and do more trail blazing. Rain in the forecast but it doesn’t bother me if I get wet. I’m hoping to open up enough paths to make it conducive for hunting with things all greened out. Not sure if that’s possible but I’m going to try nonetheless. At the very least there will be more paths come fall.

Two weeks from today, boys. Of course I’m not counting. 😁
DONT over do it BUD.

DONT over do it BUD.
Things worked out okay that day. For once, not many blackberry briars, mostly saplings and other brush. Trail blazed a few paths with much of it being in the somewhat open areas in that dreadful thicket. Wasn't too hard on the knee. I won't know for sure how good it will be for early season squirrel hunting while everything is greened out until this coming Saturday when spring season opens. Still much more to open up for deer hunting but that can wait for a while.

I thought that patch looked familiar 🤣
By golly, now if Fred will get his patch sewed on, we are working on becoming the brand of bros of squirrel hunting. Really should try to initiate Jim K as well. We need to find a patch for him. Also, considering ole Cruiser likes to color outside the lines, I reckon we should try to find a patch with a squirrel in a cage for him too. :)

Last edited:
I'm about 200 years too late. Lawdy, I can just imagine the squirrel hunting I could have done back then. Oh how this ole boy loves squirrel hunting in the mountains of the South East. If I had it my way, I'd go way the heck back up in there and stay there.

Long live the wonderful Appalachian mountains and squirrel hunting. I would have been very happy living in the land of deliverance, even if I had to kick ole Mongo that has two-green teeth right square in the shin twice a week.

Last edited:
By golly, now if Fred will get his patch sewed on, we are working on becoming the brand of bros of squirrel hunting. Really should try to initiate Jim K as well. We need to find a patch for him. Also, considering ole Cruiser likes to color outside the lines, I reckon we should try to find a patch with a squirrel in a cage for him too. :)
You're correct Ed.

I know, procrastination. It gets me from time to time. I was going to put it on my hat, just didn't, look right. I would not put it on my Hip Pack, I know what y'all are going to say about that. I'm looking to get a shoulder bag, like y'alls, or a lumbar vest. The patch is put up in a safe place until then...
You're right to gigg me on that one, I have it coming.

Back