• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand caliber restrictions on large game, being no smaller then, but not no larger than for small game I don't. What are these officials thinking?
Good question.

I'd like to know the answer for that one, too. The only thing I can think of, in terms of squirrel hunting, is perhaps the idea of shooting a larger caliber RB up in to the trees is not a good idea to the F&G folks.

In terms of rabbits, I don't understand either.

Although here in KY we do not have a minimum caliber for deer, I do understand the minimum caliber for big game concept. IMO, its not the fact that a smaller caliber cannot kill a big game critter, its mostly due to shot placement and hunters skill. Personally, I do support a minimum caliber restriction for certain big game. However, I still scratch my head at the minimum caliber for rabbits.

Either way, I'm satisfied with hunting squirrels with my .32 squirrel rifle.

Some people hunt small game with Flu-flu arrows in the states. It would still be a challenge, however. I killed a gray squirrel one day while bow hunting in TN many years ago but only because I got bored and the perfect opportunity presented itself.
I got into blow gun shooting a while back . But I could not get much power out of it . Good fun indoors but wife complained about holes in her chair cloth One guy utube killed a bear with a steel dart , pity the bear did not get him before it died last year plenty of squirrels around the garden but nothing this year, they come from the woods across the road to get to the bird feeders . Most of them end up brown bread,

Mr. Kibler is tempting me:

kib.jpg

OR should I wait and buy one ot the new .36 Thompson Center Senecas: LINK

(ETA or buy both... (oops there goes momma's new dishwasher))
IMO, it would be difficult to beat a Kibler, in terms of a true traditional muzzleloader. I know Jim K really likes his.

I would be much more prone to getting one if Kibler made a .32 or .36 caliber percussion SMR I could use for squirrel hunting. Still having a difficult talking myself into a flintlock. Perfectly content with percussion ML's.

Is TC planning on building a few side locks or just those Gawd awful new fandango things? I don't see them making side locks again unless its just one or two models for small game hunting.

Last edited:
Well we finally got a fair amount of rain this morning. Things are definitely soggy. However, I'm thinking of putting up a target out back of my house and doing a little offhand practice with Mr. Crockett. Only 16 days remaining before spring squirrel season opens. Season is a little shorter this year, only 33 days.

Had interesting year last season(s) but I missed way more than I should have, for various reasons. If I miss that many squirrels this year, I will not be a happy camper. Much of this will be determined by how proficient I can get at offhanded shooting. So I best get my hind end in gear and get with it.

...I would be much more prone to getting one if Kibler made a .32 or .36 caliber percussion SMR ...

I've asked him about helping me do a perc conversion Woodsrunner - would be the perfect gun for me. He just can't shut down his current line for every random joker like me wanting custom stuff.

People have done it with his stuff. Here is a pic of a converted one, taken at one of his open houses. He didn't do the conversion from what I hear:

kib_perc.png

Last edited:
I've asked him about helping me do a perc conversion Woodsrunner - would be the perfect gun for me. He just can't shut down his current line for every random joker like me wanting custom stuff.

People have done it with his stuff. Here is a pic of a converted one, taken at one of his open houses. He didn't do the conversion from what I hear:

View attachment 316315
I've seen this also.
It's got my wheels turn.

But for now I'll assemble my .32 flintlock and take it from there.

Well we finally got a fair amount of rain this morning. Things are definitely soggy. However, I'm thinking of putting up a target out back of my house and doing a little offhand practice with Mr. Crockett. Only 16 days remaining before spring squirrel season opens. Season is a little shorter this year, only 33 days.

Had interesting year last season(s) but I missed way more than I should have, for various reasons. If I miss that many squirrels this year, I will not be a happy camper. Much of this will be determined by how proficient I can get at offhanded shooting. So I best get my hind end in gear and get with it.
Shoot em up buddy...
Send pictures of results..

Is TC planning on building a few side locks or just those Gawd awful new fandango things? I don't see them making side locks again unless its just one or two models for small game hunting.

I didn't hear him say they were going to make percussion or flint???
Didn't get that either 😕

Seemed more like a promo announcement. Apparently tc has been bought from S&W?? What family owns it?

Back