• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching a squirrel hunt on YouTube. This guy had an orange hat with a squirrel on it. I liked it (we have to wear orange at all times squirrel hunting) I tried to find it online and couldn’t. But I found this one. I think it would make a good Sunday go to meetin hat. What do you guys think? I showed it to my wife. She just asked if I was getting it. She didn’t seem to impressed 🤷‍♂️View attachment 300019
That's a goin to town hat for sure. Goin to meeting? Mmmmm might be bit of a stretch....

Interesting info about Dixie squirrels: LINK

Among the squirrel slayers of my youth, the fox squirrel was the holy grail. I had a friend that shot a great big one and had it mounted. I almost caught a little tiny baby one with my bare hands - he was trapped at the end of a limb about 50 feet up and I got within a foot of him and he did a banzai swan dive out onto bare ground, bounced up like a rubber ball and skedaddled off like a bat out of Hades.

One thing I regret is shooting one of those little flying squirrels. I just shot it out of pure meanness, and curiosity just to get a closer look at one I suppose.

Y'all really got me fired up about getting back into it. P.S. tomorrow is the last day of squirrel season in Alabama, so It'll have to be this Fall.

Last edited:
Interesting info about Dixie squirrels: LINK

Among the squirrel slayers of my youth, the fox squirrel was the holy grail. I had a friend that shot a great big one and had it mounted. I almost caught a little tiny baby one with my bare hands - he was trapped at the end of a limb about 50 feet up and I got within a foot of him and he did a banzai swan dive out onto bare ground, bounced up like a rubber ball and skedaddled off like a bat out of Hades.

One thing I regret is shooting one of those little flying squirrels. I just shot it out of pure meanness, and curiosity just to get a closer look at one I suppose.

Y'all really got me fired up about getting back into it. P.S. tomorrow is the last day of squirrel season in Alabama, so It'll have to be this Fall.
Those southern fox squirrels with black heads, white noses and ears really excite me. I’m seriously thinking about making a trip south. My buddy I travel turkey hunting with said he’d go with me. We shall see.

Here’s a silver one from Georgia I just recently mounted next to the one I got with my flintlock. They aren’t finished yet but thought I’d share to see the difference.
image.jpg

Yeah I've been looking for an excuse to get a Kibler SMR in walnut.

What do y'all think about the Pedersoli [or Dixie] Scout 32?
I was at the range one day and a guy on the line was shooting a Pedersoli Shenandoah rifle in 36 caliber. And man it was a shooter. Couldn't say about the Scout. But I'll say this, if I do my part, my Crockett will hold a quarter sized group at 25 yards all day long.

I thought I’d share my history with squirrel hunting.

I didn’t hunt them a whole lot as a kid. Some but not a lot.

When I was getting into taxidermy 28 years ago the guy that taught me liked to squirrel hunt and especially fox squirrels. He really peaked my interest in hunting one. I don’t believe I had ever seen one up to that time. Like I said before, we have to travel to find them.

He had a place a couple counties away we hunted and then got a tip about a place further north.

We made a trip. I had my shotgun and 22 with me. I wasn’t taking any chances lol.

I wound up getting one with my shotgun that day. Pretty exciting. That was the last with a shotgun.

We hunted up there a couple times a year and did well.

As a taxidermist you do get tips. I’m always asking customers about squirrel populations where they hunt. If they see black squirrels or fox squirrels?

The pursuit of fox squirrels lead me to a favored place about 50 miles from home. I don’t see foxes there anymore but still hunt grays there.

Fast forward to four years ago to when I started hunting with muzzleloaders. I’ve had a ball hunting with them. I decided I wanted one more fox squirrel with it. I got him in January. I told you guys about that previously.

I don’t want to shoot anymore unless I go out of state to hunt them.

I’m happy just hunting grays to eat.

I quit deer hunting four years ago. Just don’t have the desire to shoot them anymore. I really struggled with it but I’m at peace with it now. I used to eat and sleep bow hunting but that’s gone.

Now I just squirrel hunt fall and winter and turkey hunt in the spring.

I hunted more this fall and winter than ever. I’m 65 and each year I’m taking in less and less work. I can’t wait for September to get after them again.

Squirrel hunting is so much more relaxing. No being in a tree half hour before light. No scent control. Doesn’t matter which way the wind is blowing. No dragging lol. And NO competition.

Feel free to tell us your squirrel hunting history.

I thought I’d share my history with squirrel hunting.

I didn’t hunt them a whole lot as a kid. Some but not a lot.

When I was getting into taxidermy 28 years ago the guy that taught me liked to squirrel hunt and especially fox squirrels. He really peaked my interest in hunting one. I don’t believe I had ever seen one up to that time. Like I said before, we have to travel to find them.

He had a place a couple counties away we hunted and then got a tip about a place further north.

We made a trip. I had my shotgun and 22 with me. I wasn’t taking any chances lol.

I wound up getting one with my shotgun that day. Pretty exciting. That was the last with a shotgun.

We hunted up there a couple times a year and did well.

As a taxidermist you do get tips. I’m always asking customers about squirrel populations where they hunt. If they see black squirrels or fox squirrels?

The pursuit of fox squirrels lead me to a favored place about 50 miles from home. I don’t see foxes there anymore but still hunt grays there.

Fast forward to four years ago to when I started hunting with muzzleloaders. I’ve had a ball hunting with them. I decided I wanted one more fox squirrel with it. I got him in January. I told you guys about that previously.

I don’t want to shoot anymore unless I go out of state to hunt them.

I’m happy just hunting grays to eat.

I quit deer hunting four years ago. Just don’t have the desire to shoot them anymore. I really struggled with it but I’m at peace with it now. I used to eat and sleep bow hunting but that’s gone.

Now I just squirrel hunt fall and winter and turkey hunt in the spring.

I hunted more this fall and winter than ever. I’m 65 and each year I’m taking in less and less work. I can’t wait for September to get after them again.

Squirrel hunting is so much more relaxing. No being in a tree half hour before light. No scent control. Doesn’t matter which way the wind is blowing. No dragging lol. And NO competition.

Feel free to tell us your squirrel hunting history.
Funny how that works ain't it Jim. I was always a horn hunter, got caught up in that fever. And shot nothing but traditional archery for 20 plus years. I've killed my fair share of good bucks. I lost vision in my left eye 12 years ago, and couldn't shoot my sticks as good as I once did. I still deer hunt, but for the food mostly. But there is just something right about squirrel hunting with ML's. I still enjoy a sunrise and sunset from a tree stand, but sitting there with my Crockett or New Englander across my lap at half cock is awesome.

Okay, here’s the only two squirrel related situations I’ve encountered in the last week.

First one was while driving on this winding, narrow road to town last week. A gray squirrel crossed the road in front of me about 40 yards. I thought it was a rat because I didn’t see a tail. Then as I got closer I noticed the squirrel had about 30% of a tail only. The remainder was gone. I cannot prove what happened to the rest of it but I know for a fact that during mating session, males will bite off the tails of other squirrels, most likely in front of them in their single-file line as they chase a receptive female.

Second situation was yesterday. Low clouds and in the fog here in the morning, some light rain. I went out to the garage for a bit, plugged in a small electric heater, then had to go back in the house for something. As soon as I stepped inside the house there was a loud “Pop” sound and the power went out. Thinking it was the Heater I had just plugged in, I went back out and everything appeared to be fine. No foul oder. Then I got word power was out in other places.

Later on, after the power had been restored, a neighbor from down the road came over and stated that a squirrel on the power line got zapped and it blew a large fuse on their utility pole. They said the squirrel was fried.

So there you have the extent of my squirrel excitement within the last week.😁

Attachments

• IMG_1837.jpeg
    IMG_1837.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A former boss told me it was fairly common in their neighborhood to lose power due to squirrels getting smoked up a power pole. Poor things!
Turkeys was the main culprit when I live up in the mountains of Idaho. Lost power a few times due to them flying into the power lines. Always during the winter when the snow was deep.

...I know for a fact that during mating session, males will bite off the tails of other squirrels,..

A buddy and I were still hunting, and witnessed a titanic heavyweight fight between two big males about 10-15 yds right above us on a limb - they were oblivious. He whispered "I can get both with one shot" (16 gauge), I said no lets watch this play out. The loser suddenly squealed and let go and we saw fur fly. He shot it on the run and I missed the winner with my .22. When we looked at the loser, it had been, ahem, "emasculated".

Last edited:
I'm with you all. At 65 there is just something I really enjoy about getting in the squirrel woods I start in our early fall season and really hit it Dec. / Jan. Freezer is full by then so I leave them be in Feb. Believe I got about 30 this season. Love the 36 cal ML had to install a peep sight a few years ago and my eyes aren't any better. So, most of the times I been grabbing one of by original English SxS. Loaded with about 1 oz of lead # 5's and no chokes. You really have to get close, and it is a ball.

I'm with you all. At 65 there is just something I really enjoy about getting in the squirrel woods I start in our early fall season and really hit it Dec. / Jan. Freezer is full by then so I leave them be in Feb. Believe I got about 30 this season. Love the 36 cal ML had to install a peep sight a few years ago and my eyes aren't any better. So, most of the times I been grabbing one of by original English SxS. Loaded with about 1 oz of lead # 5's and no chokes. You really have to get close, and it is a ball.
There's nothing like it IMO. Squirrel hunting with a small caliber ML is definitely the most interesting and challenging hunting I have ever done.

I've been trying hard to talk myself out of getting a Kibler .32 SMR (flintlock) but I seem to be losing. I would reckon that would be the ultimate.

There's nothing like it IMO. Squirrel hunting with a small caliber ML is definitely the most interesting and challenging hunting I have ever done.

I've been trying hard to talk myself out of getting a Kibler .32 SMR (flintlock) but I seem to be losing. I would reckon that would be the ultimate.
You will get one.
By hook or crook.
Plus I'm willing to be.

This is the last day for squirrel season.
Earlier in the week it was supposed to rain this weekend. I obligated myself to work saturday and sunday. The saturday it didn't rain until late afternoon, This morning I woke up it was raining buckets, I've been through hurricanes and it hadn't rained that much.
I called my wife, She said the squirrels were giving Ole Slough Dog Henry a run for his money.
I left early going to get home grad the Crockett Rifle and see what happens..

Take Care Stay Safe

Earlier in the week it was supposed to rain this weekend. I obligated myself to work saturday and sunday. The saturday it didn't rain until late afternoon, This morning I woke up it was raining buckets, I've been through hurricanes and it hadn't rained that much.
I called my wife, She said the squirrels were giving Ole Slough Dog Henry a run for his money.

Take Care Stay Safe
Go gettum Fred!!

I have a 32 and it is just too much of a pain to load and clean. I have to patch between shots after a few and I drop those little balls. The 36 balls are easier to hold on to and I have killed my limit of 6 even with a few misses and don't have to swab.. Just saying. Every bit as accurate
Honestly, I don’t have any problem loading nor cleaning my .32, I use a losing block and it’s easy. I’ve also shot up to 11 times without running a cleaning patch down the bore. But I was shooting a .010 shooting patch that I have since changed to .015 ticking.

Take Care Stay Safe
Give'em he!! Fred. Go out with a bang!

Squirrel season ended Sunday.
I was able to get off early enough to go out a little while, then the lighting started. I'll deal with rain but the lighting is another story.
The FWC may have year round hunting on squirrels starting this year. They will be voting on it very soon. If not I'll be waiting for 2nd Saturday of October.
I'm glad that so many of you had successful hunts, and good times this season. I had fun and true enjoyment on squirrel ventures this year. I also learned or maybe, even remembered what
Ole Brother Willie taught me as a child.. growing up in North West Central Illinois. Similar to what Snakebit said,
"A feral kid in Illinois."
I got caught up in hunting for deer, hog and turkey for a good while, put the squirrel hunting on the back burner. I picked it back up a few years ago, not die hard squirrel hunting, but my wife
( my hunting buddy) would go with with me. We both had great times, she's not able go as much right now, due to health issues. She be out and about soon. There are not any squirrel hunters in my circle let alone hunting with a traditional muzzleloading rifle.
Last year I made up my ming I was going to get me a .32 caliber SMR for squirrel hunting. I started squirreling up some money. I had one in mind,I was pretty much set on one in particula, it wasn't the Crockett Rifle, no special reason other than i had my mind set on something else. I was abit over half way to the cost of that gun. I seen the Crockett Rifle for sale on different sites, complete or as a kit. I also was reading about them on the forum. I reached out to ETipp and asked a few questions and his opinions, and pros and cons. He graciously offered alot of advice. I thought about it and decided to buy one.
And I'm glad I did. Damn good gun. I had several shots at squirrels and missed. I know it was me not the gun. I did very well shoot off the bench. Out in the woods I didn't.
With all that said above, I truly appreciate this thread, I feel it brought out good Ole memories for us to relive and share. Feel like hunting buddy's and made friends with some of the guys. Hell, we've never met eye to eye, I never thought that anything like that would happen.
I know some guys will have an early season soon. That should keep the thread going, but I hope we will keep it going until fall season opens. I will be doing alot of shooting til season starts, hopefully become one with my rifle.
Until then the best to all.

Take Care Stay Safe

Back