• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id like to collect some data on this game.

For the traditional ML squirrel hunters out there, what is your preferred method of hunting.

Spot and stalk?

Sit and hunt?

Still hunt?

Hunt with squirrel dogs?

Just walk through the woods?

Also, what is your preferred type of traditional ML for squirrel hunting?
All of the above for me

Looks like the late season is over for this ole boy. Still paying a heavy price for getting out and about last week. Very warm weather forecasted a day or two before season closes, but I’m simply going to have to lay low for a while. It just isn’t worth it. This is simply unbelievable and unacceptable but it is what it is I reckon.

According to my wife, I’ve been about as ornery as a gut shot grizzle bear.

Well fellas, I’m sitting here in the woods about ready to head home. Thursday is our last day but this is gonna be it for me.

I’ve had a great almost 5 month season. Hunted squirrels way more than ever. Wound up getting 38 grays and 2 fox squirrels. Used 7 different rifles. Missed more than I got!! Had a ball. I’m looking forward to September already.

I’ve enjoyed this thread immensely and hope we keep it going.

I’m looking forward to the spring reports from you guys fortunate enough to have a spring season.

It’s a little sad but I have spring gobbler coming soon and plans to hunt at least three states. That will help. Jim

Looks like the late season is over for this ole boy. Still paying a heavy price for getting out and about last week. Very warm weather forecasted a day or two before season closes, but I’m simply going to have to lay low for a while. It just isn’t worth it. This is simply unbelievable and unacceptable but it is what it is I reckon.

Hey, Ya ornery Ole Grizzly Bear.
Hang in there and take it easy.
Early Squirrel Season will be here before ya know it...

Well fellas, I’m sitting here in the woods about ready to head home. Thursday is our last day but this is gonna be it for me.

I’ve had a great almost 5 month season. Hunted squirrels way more than ever. Wound up getting 38 grays and 2 fox squirrels. Used 7 different rifles. Missed more than I got!! Had a ball. I’m looking forward to September already.

I’ve enjoyed this thread immensely and hope we keep it going.

I’m looking forward to the spring reports from you guys fortunate enough to have a spring season.

It’s a little sad but I have spring gobbler coming soon and plans to hunt at least three states. That will help. Jim
Jim, it does sound like you had a great season. I've yet to score, I'll try this weekend. Season ends Sunday the 3rd.
State Man might make it year round starting in June when new changes take affect.
Will you be coming to Florida for one of your Spring Turkey Hunts?

Jim, it does sound like you had a great season. I've yet to score, I'll try this weekend. Season ends Sunday the 3rd.
State Man might make it year round starting in June when new changes take affect.
Will you be coming to Florida for one of your Spring Turkey Hunts?
No Fred, I have gotten a gobbler in Florida (it completed my grand slam) but no plans to go back at this time. Lord willing, I’m hunting Nebraska, PA and Maine. Posibbly Missouri on our way home from Nebraska. Not sure yet.

No Fred, I have gotten a gobbler in Florida (it completed my grand slam) but no plans to go back at this time. Lord willing, I’m hunting Nebraska, PA and Maine. Posibbly Missouri on our way home from Nebraska. Not sure yet.
I remember reading in one of your other posts that you had gotten a Grand Slam.
I was thinking that if you coming here you would have to get south of that imaginary line to gat a
Pure Strain Osceola.
If so I was going drive over and shake you hand.

I remember reading in one of your other posts that you had gotten a Grand Slam.
I was thinking that if you coming here you would have to get south of that imaginary line to gat a
Pure Strain Osceola.
If so I was going drive over and shake you hand.
I’d love to meet you. We hunted out of Kissimmee. Technically they were Osceola but they didn’t have real dark wings like they do further south but we were below the line sooo it was an Osceola.

Well fellas. Took the New Englander for a walk in the woods today. Put the cap on the nipple at 7:40AM, came out of the woods at 12:30PM. 2 squirrels spotted, 0 squirrels killed. Upper 30's when I got in, mid 40's when I came out. Very little wind. Between sitting and still hunting, I covered more ground than these old knees would have liked. Got back to the truck, and participated in my normal ritual of coffee on the tailgate. Didn't see any other humans, or hear any human noise. Probably my last day, although Thursdays weather makes it a maybe. We'll have to see. Was a damn good pot of coffee I will say.

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_121025211.jpg
    IMG_20240227_121025211.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0

We need you to get the Rocky soundtrack and start getting them legs ready for spring buddy. You can skip the raw egg drinking though. I plan on doing the same. Me and Jim have to wait until September 14th. I plan on shooting a deer early so I can squirrel hunt more in October. 😉

To All that have contributed to this thread, I agree with Jim K.
We have to keep this thread going.
It's something I look forward to.

Take Care Stay Safe
I totally Fred. And thanks again to Ed for starting this thread. Some great guys posting on here, and very entertaining to follow. Will be looking forward to Ed posting in a few months of his successful spring hunts with his Crockett, and how he ran up the mountain like an 18 year old in boot camp.

Another plan foiled by weather! :confused: Wind 35 mph +. I guess I come across as a namby pamby with the weather but it's too long a drive to be miserable! I can hunt any day of the week but I'm trying to get out with the grandson. Thursday the 29th is the last day. Going to aim for Tuesday and go alone.
Best of luck Cruiser. Always kinda dread the end of the season.

Back