• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2015 Garden

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How dose your garden grow??

Our spinach, mustered greens, and kale are up from seed, I got everything roto-tilled today, planted the first patch of sweetcorn, 2 cherry tomato's & 2 heirloom, some onion sets, 3 types of squash, cucumbers & some pepper plants all before the evening rain :)

I have seeds for okra, and two types of beans soaking in water to plant in the morning. I think I'll try to get the flint corn in as well.

Beans, mmm... Good luck this year. This still mostly on the "borrowed" land?

Only the sweet corn is share cropped :rotf: on my neighbors easement. I'm still hoping when the others see TWO easements planted they will cut their easement's weeds :idunno:

I'll plant the flint corn beans & squash on MY easement. Everything else is in my garden proper.

Oh sure, leave The Three Sisters out there to fend for themselves...

Alden said:
Oh sure, leave The Three Sisters out there to fend for themselves...

:haha: I guess they will have to fend for themselves ,
I'm like Lydia Bennet, in that it is all about my happiness and my three sisters we suffer for it. (Yes that was hard working in a Pride & Prejudice reference a 5am)

Well they will be within shoot'n gun distance of the back door so they are safe enough less-in the utility fellers come through.

The deer are thick around where I live and eat practically everything - azaleas, day lilies, roses (gave up long ago there) BUT, last year I found one thing that appears untouched - hops.
So, this year, I am planting a 20' pole & putting in five more hops plants next to the original 'experiment' plant. If all goes well, I will add a second six plant bed on the other side of the pole next year.

A large patch of potatoes, sunflowers, barley, pumpkins, Indian corn and squash.
carrots, parsley , Basil, onions, sage, garlic, chives, Egyptian walking onions, cucumbers, many varieties of lettuce, bell, cayenne and jalapeno peppers, kale , broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, dill, pole beans, bottle gourds, peas, rosemary, thyme,
And then there are apples, grapes, raspberries, pears, hops, asparagus and rhubarb .
And the wife's flower beds :grin:

colorado clyde said:
horner75 said:
What is Flint Corn?
A classification of corn based on the type of kernel.. there are flint, dent, sweet, flour, pod and pop corn.
people eat flint, flour, sweet and pop.....cows eat dent. :grin:

:hatsoff: Flint parches well and stores well can be ground I have not roasted any young ears but it is said the NA did this as well

Lol no I did once when I was a kid . Sucker in each hole.... Corn seeds rotted along with the fish & the whole garden stunk of dead fish

I remember my grandpa and uncle doing it...but I had a similar experience when I was young also.... I'm going fishing, maybe I will try it again... :haha:

I'll bury it deep and to the side....maybe only use part of the fish and not the whole thing..

Well, we have 4 types of tomatoes, cukes, summer and winter squash, beets,leaf lettuce, arugula, spinach, 6 different herbs, brussel (sp?) sprouts and bell peppers. We do everything except the herbs from seed.

This is only our third year with a garden but we are really enjoying it. The wife and I are exploring inexpensive ways to extend the growing season and making plans to expand the garden area. This is all done in a small suburban back yard. I figure the bigger the garden, the less grass I have to mow. :grin:

Have spuds, peas and onions in. The rest this week and next. It was 32F here this am, and irrigation sprinklers frozen a couple of days ago. Corn will not make it at my place, and some years no tomatoes. Winter kill got my raspberries this year.

I have some Celebrity Tomatoes in, some straight neck squash, and a few Jalapeno peppers. its to hot already down here for lettuce, kale, and other leafy greens.

Hate the Cog Railway but I ain't gonna drive it and couldn't climb it anymore!

Gophers got my peas when they were up 1 1/2". Had to replant----- but got the gophers. Taters and onions jumping. Dead raspberries from winter kill mowed down and salad stuff in. Other stuff goin in this week, including wife's flowers.

Just got stuff to put in the garden tonight. Yes, kinda late, but should turn out well. While working on it, a doe passed a little ways from us, just to check on our progress I'm sure! :rotf:

Latest posts

Back