• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 powders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooyer_250

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoould know this, but it escapes me...when using a flintlock...you can prime the pan with the same powder you put down the barell...right?

God Bless

Lee

p.s....quit laffing at me...LOL

Yes. Many shooters use the same powder for the main charge and for prime. It makes life simpler with only one horn to keep up with & one powder to keep on hand. Others believe that the faster ignition speed of 4f as a prime is worth the extra hassle.
It will work both ways - best to try each method & make your own choice.

Yes you can use the same powder for both unless you have a canoe gun with no ventliner and are shooting at a Bear or pot farmer :thumbsup:

Thanks, I thought I was losing what is left of my brain..and of course, it never even dawned on me to use google...maybe I did lose it...LOL

I have given all my percussion guns away and after my move, a nice flintlock will be coming my way...I really appreciate the responses....not sure if I would shoot at a pot farmer these days...just ain't sure...

God Bless

Lee

Many people use the same powder in the pan as main charge. I use a finer priming powder just because I have a small priming horn with a valve that won't feed 3 F, And I am a klutz who spills a lot of powder when trying to prime from my main horn. :hmm:

There are a couple of reasons for a priming horn. I have some nerve damage in my hand and started using a priming horn so I didn't have to handle my main horn and its stopper twice. For me it's a struggle to pull stopper, pour horn, replace stopper. To do that twice isn't necessary when I can prime with a valve priming horn. My hand is somewhat improved, but now it just seems more efficient.

If I wanted to use 3fg in the pan, I think i'd use 3fg in my priming horn. However, I do use 4fg; one reason I do is that I can trickle 4fg into the vent of a dry-balled gun. I had the chance to help 2 fellows in the woods walk at Friendship with Null B in my priming horn.

This is not meant change someone's mind. Use what you like best. The priming horn is more efficient for me.

Regards,
Pletch

I actually just bought my first can of 4F. Before that I had never seen 4F and used 3F as a prime no problem. I think I will continue to use 3F during hunting season and leave the 4F for the range.

Thats a good post some of us have hand problems and its difficult to get the desired amount of powder in the pan.A priming horn with a measuring valve is a huge help.I have found 4f flows better than 3f but thats just my take.For ignition 3f works just as well IMHO.

I use 4f for most of my shooting. In damp weather 3f is a better choice as it is not as affected by moisture as is 4f. :grin:

I prefer 4f and I like a pretty full pan. I don't see the very small “extta” prining powder measure as any more burden to carry.

Nobody is laughing. This is one of those never ending debate issues. Yes, you can prime with the same powder you load with. Personally, I believe there is a noticable difference in speed when using 2Fg as a primer. I won't claim to notice a difference when using 3Fg. But, for most of my shooting I prefer 4Fg. Couple reasons. I have a lot and it won't do any good setting on my shelf until I die. Using the 'very authentic' :wink: brass, spring loaded, priming spout I can place exactly how much I want in the pan without spilling as happens when pouring from your large horn. I think, in the end it is a matter of personal preference.

Back