• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st time using Paper Cartridges.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 88 of these beauties rolled up, will finish my box of 100 tomorrow. Next time I make it out to the range I'm gonna shoot them all up in a couple different revolvers and see how they do.

The 30 I've shot out of my NMA did pretty well. It's a little tedious but I'm getting faster and better at it, and it's fun to do while I'm watching my gun videos.

I remember as a kid we bought bull durham and papers trying to "roll a smoke" one handed like a real Cowboy. . . I guess I'm better at rolling cartridges but not by much, sure do feel fumble fingered with that tiny 1/2 sheet of cigarette paper in my big old paws.

What about a lube over the ball to keep the fouling soft. I have a kit but haven't put together any cartridges. Usually I use a lubed felt wad to keep the fouling soft.

What about a lube over the ball to keep the fouling soft. I have a kit but haven't put together any cartridges. Usually I use a lubed felt wad to keep the fouling soft.
Melt lube in a small can like a cat food can, then VERY CAREFULLY (operative words) dip the bullet almost to the paper in the lube is one way. The other is put the lube wad in the paper tube over the powder.
If I made paper cartridges for my hand guns I would dip because the wad takes a lot of space the powder should use..
I am a dipper school for my Sharps and Smith. I do not make paper cartridges for my revolvers. but go for it fishmusic it is part of the fun.
Hold center
Hit center
Good shooting!
Bunk

You could, like I did, keep the powder cartridge and projectile separate, that way you can use your felt wade and still remove the step of measuring powder from the field (and instead roll your own at home) 🙂

You could, like I did, keep the powder cartridge and projectile separate, that way you can use your felt wade and still remove the step of measuring powder from the field (and instead roll your own at home) 🙂
Sounds less messy than toting Crisco to the range :rolleyes:. i will try it.
Melt lube in a small can like a cat food can, then VERY CAREFULLY (operative words) dip the bullet almost to the paper in the lube is one way. The other is put the lube wad in the paper tube over the powder.
If I made paper cartridges for my hand guns I would dip because the wad takes a lot of space the powder should use..
I am a dipper school for my Sharps and Smith. I do not make paper cartridges for my revolvers. but go for it fishmusic it is part of the fun.
Hold center
Hit center
Good shooting!
Bunk
Lord but is fun, isn't it!

.Lord but is fun, isn't it!

I hate to admit it, but I go in and out of being in love with muzzle loading, there are times, when it seems like a lot of mess and kit, and I find myself thinking, bolt action .22 some rounds in my pocket, a knife and I'm rabbit hunting. . . . . I don't even have to clean the rifle after. . . .

Other times like now, I just love it. Working up a load, filing a sight, the smell, getting all the gear worked out. . . .absolutely love it.

I hate to admit it, but I go in and out of being in love with muzzle loading, there are times, when it seems like a lot of mess and kit, and I find myself thinking, bolt action .22 some rounds in my pocket, a knife and I'm rabbit hunting. . . . . I don't even have to clean the rifle after. . . .

Other times like now, I just love it. Working up a load, filing a sight, the smell, getting all the gear worked out. . . .absolutely love it.
I have to admit that I don't have any other but black powder guns. Never thought of my self as a gun person until I got this bug. Will I ever get a suppository gun? Maybe but I don't yet feel the need yet.

I have to admit that I don't have any other but black powder guns. Never thought of my self as a gun person until I got this bug. Will I ever get a suppository gun? Maybe but I don't yet feel the need yet.

Isn't it fantastic that we come at it from such different directions, yet both end up here enjoying a discussion about paper cartridges đź‘Ť

Paper cartridges are easy for me if I do it in stages. I cut the circles & envelopes in one or two sessions so I have a lot of those premade. I’ll Form them in another session . At another time while watching TV I fill them, maybe 10 at a time, with a flask with a proper sized spout then glue in round balls . I’ve made conical versions to but like the round balls. Lastly, at another session I dip all I've made , maybe 24 ,up to where paper meets ball in a heated up batch of lube … beeswax, paraffin & olive oil. At the range they are easy to load. Having done quite a few I find it very easy, convenient & fun. I’ll also use powder , wad and ball if it’s not windy and I feel like I want to shoot more. ..

I dip mine in melted SPG. I know the pistol is cocked but I was showing off the cap fence and debris shield installed by Goons Gun Works.
6E90EA91-899F-426F-BC94-80DE996A67C6.jpeg

i just make cartridges with just powder and wad using cigarette papers... makes it easy when loading, no mess, easy to put a ball on top and ram it in

Latest posts

Back