• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mesa Winds paper cartridge tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you are thinking about starting to make paper handgun cartridges, I would suggest you look at the Mesa Winds case former tools. They are reasonably priced, made of aluminum (so that they are durable), and are very professional looking tools.
Mesa Winds makes forming tools for both .36 and .44 bullet or ball handguns with an adjustable length former to make percussion Sharps paper cartridge tubes. Because the mandrill is metal, glue stick residue is easily removed and leaves little to no mess.
The pattern template Mesa Winds offers is 3D printed, heavy, and brightly colored. As a novice in this sort of work, I’m very glad I ordered one. My previous experience in making paper cartridges for a Sharps rifle was limited to using a homemade former. Mesa Winds also offers both conical bullet and ball formers and templates.
With this tool, my .36 Navy paper cartridge discard rate has dropped and continues to improve as I use the former. There are no instructions included with the tool, but there are plenty of YouTube tutorials available. Check out Frontier Western Heritage’s demonstration.
Mesa Winds has quality products at a fair price. Make your life easier by using their tools to create your paper cartridges and spend less time at the bench and more time on the range.

If you are thinking about starting to make paper handgun cartridges, I would suggest you look at the Mesa Winds case former tools. They are reasonably priced, made of aluminum (so that they are durable), and are very professional looking tools.
Mesa Winds makes forming tools for both .36 and .44 bullet or ball handguns with an adjustable length former to make percussion Sharps paper cartridge tubes. Because the mandrill is metal, glue stick residue is easily removed and leaves little to no mess.
The pattern template Mesa Winds offers is 3D printed, heavy, and brightly colored. As a novice in this sort of work, I’m very glad I ordered one. My previous experience in making paper cartridges for a Sharps rifle was limited to using a homemade former. Mesa Winds also offers both conical bullet and ball formers and templates.
With this tool, my .36 Navy paper cartridge discard rate has dropped and continues to improve as I use the former. There are no instructions included with the tool, but there are plenty of YouTube tutorials available. Check out Frontier Western Heritage’s demonstration.
Mesa Winds has quality products at a fair price. Make your life easier by using their tools to create your paper cartridges and spend less time at the bench and more time on the range.
Mesa Winds also has forming tools for 31 caliber, ball or conical

They are easy to look up online. Made of metal means they can last a couple lifetimes and the price is more than reasonable. I will be getting a set of these soon. One question though, what is the difference between the tool for rb and the tool for conicals?

They are easy to look up online. Made of metal means they can last a couple lifetimes and the price is more than reasonable. I will be getting a set of these soon. One question though, what is the difference between the tool for rb and the tool for conicals?
I think the difference is the length of the tube. The conical I used was the Eras Gone Colt Cartridge Works .36 caliber heel bullet. A round ball would take a longer tube for the ball to go inside the tube would be my guess.
However I have had a .44 ball tool on ordr for a couple of months so I am not sure if they are still making them.
Bunk

I think the difference is the length of the tube. The conical I used was the Eras Gone Colt Cartridge Works .36 caliber heel bullet. A round ball would take a longer tube for the ball to go inside the tube would be my guess.
However I have had a .44 ball tool on ordr for a couple of months so I am not sure if they are still making them.
Bunk
I just contacted Mesa Winds and my order was lost somewhere. in shipment
He will make another and ship in a week.
i am getting the .44 ball type tool.
Bunk

Back