• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Range Trip, New GM Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john s mosby

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my new Green Mountain 54 cal. barrel TC to the range today.
This is with a .015 patch, 60 grains of 3F, .530 ball, and shooting from the bench at 25 yards.
I found it took a short starter to get the ball started, it wasn't really hard to push it down with the range rod once it got started. I ran a damp patch down between each shot. After making a few small sight adjustments I shot 5 rounds at this target.
I want to try some other powder charges but it's looking like it's going to shoot a whole lot better than I can hold it.
212302904.jpg

It looks like you have a real shooter there.. Nice shooting. The barrel only gets better ..

It's an old TC Hawkin I got at a local gun show, I refinished the stock and got a GM Barrel for it. I'm really pleased with it so far. I think I have about $300 in it and I plan on selling the 45 cal barrel it came with.

Hi Mose. Wow nice group. Looks like a real winner. Makes my shooting look like I am throwing rocks. Good one.

Hi Wolf

Good to hear from you.

It's the new barrel, it's not anything I did. I just held it as still on the bench as I could. All the credit goes to the new barrel. Too bad I can't shoot ofhand that good. I did try a few shots ofhand from 50 yards, I managed to get them in the black.

I've been using .530 rb , .018 patch and 80 grns. 3f Goex in mine , with good results . I've got some .535 rb's I'm gonna try with a .015 patch and see how they do .

Latest posts

Back