• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"1981" Springfield Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 51067

40 Cal
Reaction score
In light of the extended "discussion" about a need for an 1861 Springfield Musket, I was prompted to delve into my "archives" and locate the paperwork on my American-made 1861 musket (made in 1981). My memory was slightly off with regard to name of the actual maker, but the basic information was correct. I traveled the the shop in (or about) 1982 to select my rifle from about a dozen or so that were on hand at the time. The actual cost was $550.00 (which was a bit expensive as compared to the Navy Arms offerings at the time), but as it turns out well worth it!

Attachments

• 1981 Springfield.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 84
Nice - where was this international shooting range in NJ? I belonged to two gun clubs in Nj one was Citizens Rifle & Revolver Club in East Windsor and the other was Central Jersey Gun Club in Jackson. I've lived in NJ until 1998 and never heard of a international black powder shooting range.

The "International Range" was apparently somewhere in Lake Hopatcong. I have never visited there. I am a member at CJR&P currently, as there are not any places to "wander off in the woods" and shoot anymore.

The "International Range" was apparently somewhere in Lake Hopatcong. I have never visited there. I am a member at CJR&P currently, as there are not any places to "wander off in the woods" and shoot anymore.

I knew Donald "Bucky" Malson well from working many years at the NSSA Nationals in his Sutler's Booth, both the old Cabin that we later dragged to the 2nd NJ Team site and later the one in the newly built NSSA built Sutler's Row. Bucky lived very near Lake Hopatcong and that was his mailing address.

I'm thinking the range Bucky was talking about was on Val Forgett, Jr's "Cannon Farm." I was there a couple of times when the USIMLT practiced there, but since I was always a passenger in someone's vehicle when brought there, I can't tell you exactly where it was at.

Gus

I learn something every day! I am "honored" to actually have one of these splendid rifles (who knew at the time?). Someday, someone will have quite a find!
Jeter

I used to shoot with Bucky when I was with Co K 2nd NJ Cavalry and the USIMLT. The place we shot near Lake Hopatcong was under a highway underpass (I80. IIRC).

ADK Bigfoot

Back